How Critical Is The Block Heater? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 07:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How Critical Is The Block Heater?

I have an interesting situation. Apparently my truck left the factory without a block heater installed. I haven't actually put eyes on it to verify that, but the dealer ran the VIN and told me so. I have no reason not to believe him or suspect him of trying to sell me something I don't need (something that's already there). I can understand not having the cord as that was an option for 2005 and later, but not even a heater element? I find that odd. My question is how critical is it to have a block heater in north Texas? We do have a few cold days/nights that will drop into the teens (no laughing from you guys in the frozen north), but usually not much colder than that, and usually no more than two or three days in a row. Would it be worth the time, effort, and money to have one installed? I'm pretty mechanically challenged when it comes to much more than oil changes, etc, so I wouldn't even attempt a project like that and would leave it to the professionals. But back to my question...considering where I live and our average winter weather, is it really even that necessary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 08:30 AM

not necessary with a 6.4 IMO
Old 11-04-2011, 08:41 AM

If that's the lowest temps you have you don't need it
Old 11-04-2011, 11:48 AM

All 6.4's have the block heater. All that you need is a cord. Other than Ford, IH/Navistar has one from what I recall reading.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:17 PM

Thanks, BlueF350. That's what I thought, based on my research. However, the dealer says that according to my VIN, it didn't come with the element. Maybe he meant it didn't come with the cord...which makes sense and which I would agree with. I guess I should just crawl under the truck and look for myself. I have found cords on Ebay for around $20.00 to $30.00. The dealer wants $130.00 for his. The thing is, though, it doesn't really ever get cold enough in Texas, even north Texas, to make a block heater necessary. The main advantage to having one here is that it gives a head start to warming up the engine and subsequently the cab heat.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueF350 View Post
All 6.4's have the block heater. All that you need is a cord. Other than Ford, IH/Navistar has one from what I recall reading.
I have the cord but cant find where to plug it in. anybody have a picture or two. its gonna be 0 here the next two nights....
Old 01-20-2013, 07:32 PM

It is above the starter sort of a pain to get to but can be done. I used a mirror to help see what I was doing it is pretty tight area.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:03 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How Critical Is The Block Heater?

Def not necessary in North Texas, but I still use mine every time it gets below 40 at night! Means I don't have to idle to get the temps up to drive and I have instant heat in the mornings!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-21-2013, 05:50 AM
Powerstroke Techie

My truck has started in temperatures in as low as -20F without being plugged in.

I wouldn't worry about it. It makes it a lot nicer on the truck and you don't have to idle it for 10 - 15 mins to warm 'er up, but it's not a necessity.

Vehicles that were not originally destined for "Cold Weather States" or Canada did not automatically come with a block heater cord.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:48 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryAggie View Post
Def not necessary in North Texas, but I still use mine every time it gets below 40 at night! Means I don't have to idle to get the temps up to drive and I have instant heat in the mornings!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
It gets pretty cold here, been 20s for the last couple weeks in the AM. I plug it in if i know its going to be lower 30s, Basically if i know its to cold to ride my motorcycle to work then the truck is pluged in.

I love it because when im about 3 minutes from leaving. I hit the auto start, then grab my coffee to go.

I drive 1 miles then its 60 for 25 miles and i like the truck over 130 before i push her to that speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.