Steering wheel peeling - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Steering wheel peeling

My steering wheel is starting to peel at the top where I tend to keep my hand when driving. My question is where is the best place to buy a new or used steering wheel??? My interior is the medium stone color with all the controls, cruise, stereo, and fan. Here is a old pic before it started peeling and with my edge programmer.....lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 12:30 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
For a new steering wheel, I'd try TascaParts.com. If you want a used one, Ebay or a junk yard. A cheaper option might just be to get your steering wheel recovered.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggsw784 View Post
My steering wheel is starting to peel at the top where I tend to keep my hand when driving. My question is where is the best place to buy a new or used steering wheel??? My interior is the medium stone color with all the controls, cruise, stereo, and fan. Here is a old pic before it started peeling and with my edge programmer.....lol

if you are still in your 36/36,000 its covered under warranty....i had mine replaced...for a black leather one instead of the stone,,, it has held up great with zero signs of wear...
Old 11-03-2011, 07:44 AM

No man its out of warranty.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Premium Member

you bring up an interested point.. but my king ranch leather wrapped steering wheel is horrible.. it falls apart quick if you keep your hand at the top.. and thats my favorite place to put my hand when driving.. so i'm always catching myself and moving my hand somewhere else on the wheel as to not mess up the leather on my wheel.. thats my only gripe
Old 11-03-2011, 10:21 AM

If you all are into woodgrain/leather steering wheels, you might check out a guy named Bob Mansmith (rjmansmith@aol.com). He does custom steering wheels with woodgrain inserts. He did one for me in my 04 because I always drive with my hand at the top of the wheel as well. I was afraid I would wear my leather off and it would get ratty looking. A kind member on this forum sold me a used worn out wheel to send his as a core so I could keep my original wheel, in case I decided to sell my truck and somebody didn't care for the woodgrain.

I also like the woodgrain because I know I can get in my truck with my hands a little dirty and grab the wheel and not stain it up. Just wipe it down with a armorall wipe and call it good. On my wheel, he matched my factory woodgrain and leather color pretty dang close, and it had to be because I'm super picky. It's got woodgrain at the top and bottom. (I'll get a pic up later for ya if you'd like).

I know I asked him about a friend of mine's 08 Lariat who is having the same problem as the OP. But the way the 08+ wheels are, he can only put woodgrain on the top.

Note- he hand stictches his wheels, so they are not exactly 'sewing machine' tight. But he does quality work with good materials. I heard he did a few guys King Ranch wheels as well, and they seem happy with them,

Hope this helps!
Old 11-03-2011, 10:23 AM

One more thing- I think he does numerous different patterns: woodgrain, carbon fiber, plain colors, etc. For you guys with the sportier trucks that want something a little more contemporary instead of old fashioned!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:22 AM

yea I would like some pics man. Thanks
Old 11-03-2011, 11:26 AM

Found the pics in my email that he sent me of wheels he has done. I'll get some of the one installed in my truck this evening when I get off work for ya--

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Attached Thumbnails
Steering wheel peeling-imageuploadedbyautoguide1320348338.122417.jpg   Steering wheel peeling-imageuploadedbyautoguide1320348348.676323.jpg   Steering wheel peeling-imageuploadedbyautoguide1320348356.563178.jpg   Steering wheel peeling-imageuploadedbyautoguide1320348366.163200.jpg  
Old 11-03-2011, 11:27 AM

....and my iPhone won't load the full size images it appears... Sorry about that. I'll try and load them from my computer tonight.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.