A Question About Regen - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A Question About Regen

Sorry if this is a dumb question that has been asked a million times, but since I'm new to the Powerstroke, I'm still learning about it. From what I can gather, ther regen cycle is basically a self-cleaning function of the DPF when it reaches a certain level of soot build up. How will I know when this is happening and will the check engine light come on just prior to the cycle? Thanks for putting up with a rookie's questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 12:04 PM

A message will show up on your EVIC saying "Cleaning Exhaust Filter." Shows up for a few seconds and then goes away. However, the regen cycle is still going even when the message is not displayed. In order to find out if it is done, you can do a system check and the last thing it will say is whether you're in regen or not. You will also know when regen is happening when your fuel mileage heads south, and quick.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:16 PM

Thanks! I'll be watching.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:56 AM

Thanks, again, Alberta Advantage. It's a good thing I asked the question and got your very helpful answer because as fate would have it, it went into a regen cycle on the way home from work. It did just as you said. The message displayed and yes, the mileage went south. I also remember reading in another post somewhere that if you stopped and put the truck in park during the cycle, the cycle would stop. That being said, I continued driving around until the cycle completed (not terribly long). How often can I expect this to happen? Is it regulated by engine hours or mileage or just whenever it feels like it? Other than the mileage tanking, I didn't notice any difference in engine performance during the cycle. Is this normal as well?
Old 11-02-2011, 05:12 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
as far as when it will happen , usually when you are in a rush or need to be somewhere, its not based on mileage or hours just when system is ready to be cleaned? ,as with gas mileage tanking you also should have felt or heard a differance in performance ,this is normal ,if not you will, hop[e this helps a bit more
Old 11-02-2011, 05:35 AM

Thanks, diesel23. Of course! Isn't that always when stuff happens...at the worst possible time? I'm sure that is exactly what will happen to me. As far as a difference in performance, come to think of it there was a slight difference. It did seem to be a bit sluggish on take off from a standstill. It wasn't bad enough to get in a twist over, in my opinion, but now I won't panic if it does get really noticeable.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:16 AM

Typically occurrences can happen anywhere from 200-500 miles depending on how clean your vehicle runs. Rumor has it that the latest flash from Ford has changed this and now occurrences can be more frequent but shorter, somewhere in the range of 200-300mi.

But yes, if you put the vehicle in Park, it turns off the regen function. It could restart as soon as you put it back in drive or X miles later, X being an unknown number.

I just drive the vehicle, if it goes into regen while I'm the freeway/highway, great. If it's in regen still by the time I get to my destination I just put it in park and let the engine cool down to normal idling temperatures apposed to just turning the truck off. This gives it plenty of time to burn off all the excess fuel injected into the engine during the regen process so that it doesn't just drain straight to the oil pan when the engine cools down.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:46 AM

That's why I love this forum! You guys are great and I really, really appreciate all your advice. What better way to learn about something than from others who have experienced it? None that I know.

I said in an earlier post that I continued driving around until the cycle completed. That's true, I did, but after a stop at the bank where I did put the truck in park while waiting in the drive through line. Yes, the regen did stop, but it started back immediately upon putting the truck back in drive and continuing on my way. However, in the future, if it starts a cycle when I'm nearly to my destination and it would be unfeasible to keep driving around, I'll do the "letting it idle for a few minutes" thing to burn off excess fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.