Looking at an'08 with 160k miles - good idea if cheap? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Looking at an'08 with 160k miles - good idea if cheap?

I tried to find out what I could about this truck (VIN 1FTWW31R78EA64431), but got limited reports from OASIS. Only things they saw were a radiator replacement, some seat recall, and another PCM flash. I'm worried about making a mistake - anyone have any pointers on what to look at when I am looking this truck over tomorrow? It's a job 1 (3/07).. F350 Lariat crew cab 4X4.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstepchinski View Post
I tried to find out what I could about this truck (VIN 1FTWW31R78EA64431), but got limited reports from OASIS. Only things they saw were a radiator replacement, some seat recall, and another PCM flash. I'm worried about making a mistake - anyone have any pointers on what to look at when I am looking this truck over tomorrow? It's a job 1 (3/07).. F350 Lariat crew cab 4X4.

Thanks in advance!
at 160,000 i personally would not take that bet.....
Old 10-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am really on the fence. I guess a test drive can't hurt, but do you know of any tell tale signs I can look at right off that are usually problematic? Do these 6.4's just not have the longevity of even the 6.0's?
Old 10-28-2011, 03:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mine has the same build date. I currently have 190k miles and have had no major issues. In my opinion if its lasted that long your probably good to go, oil and fuel filter maintanence are the key as well as a delete and H&S tuner. I wouldn't let the mileage scare you. Mine runs better than new and I believe I can get at least 300k out of the 6.4.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Only input I have is my truck is a job 2 which was bought brand new and has 150k miles in 3 1/2 years which have been 100% problem free. I had the radiator recall done, PCM reflash, some fuel tank brace recall and the sensor on the outlet of the DPF replaced (when DPF was on) all under warranty. All of these items were done at my convience and nothing has ever left me stranded or limping it home. Every truck is different with these and if the oasis report comes back looking good, I would bring a pair of coveralls and climb under, over and everywhere on that truck looking for anything. If the test ride goes well, make a deal. Cant judge an individual truck by the general opinion on that particual make/model.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
I am really on the fence. I guess a test drive can't hurt, but do you know of any tell tale signs I can look at right off that are usually problematic? Do these 6.4's just not have the longevity of even the 6.0's?
no, nothing wrong with the 6.4...........its only been out since mid 2007 so it is to early to tell about its longevity......the 6.4 was built tuff, i would remove some of the govt issue emissions stuff that is harmful to the motor and run with it if you like it. i just meant i dont like high milers because of the wear and tear on them... seats, scratches...stuff wearing out like ball joints and what not.....but i trust the 6.4 100%....... especially tuned
Old 10-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the input from everyone. I just don't want to get into a money pit, and was concerned after reading some other posts on boards. This powertrain had a 100k warranty, right? The OASIS report showed nothing major, so that gives me some comfort. THe only problem I have is that the dealership that did the services on the truck is now out of business, so I cannot get any additional records. I don't know the oil change / maintenance history, so I guess I will have to go with my guy when I see the truck tomorrow.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the input from everyone. I just don't want to get into a money pit, and was concerned after reading some other posts on boards. This powertrain had a 100k warranty, right? The OASIS report showed nothing major, so that gives me some comfort. THe only problem I have is that the dealership that did the services on the truck is now out of business, so I cannot get any additional records. I don't know the oil change / maintenance history, so I guess I will have to go with my guy when I see the truck tomorrow.
i would think any dealer could find it by the VIN
Old 10-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The dealers I have talked to can only pull up non-paid warranty work. Thr radiator, some seat recall, and a PCM flash were done under warranty.

They say they have no way of seeing the other customer paid service works
Old 10-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

First off, if you dont want a money pit, dont buy a diesel!

dont let the mileage scare you, it is a diesel, i beleive these 6.4's have 300k to 400k in them.

check for coolant leaks, and oil leaks, if none of the above are present and it drives and runs good, if you can get it for a good price rock and roll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.