what the heck, what should i do... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what the heck, what should i do...

hello all, i am very new and i appreciate all the help i have already received on previous threads and within the search function but im still lost on this problem i am having...
I bought my cclb 08 6.4 about 3 weeks ago. everything was awesome for about a week and a half. sometime last week i had my first "cleaning exhaust filter" message on the dash, followed by another the very next day, and another. at the end of last week, i noticed white smoke upon cold starting the vehicle 40 degrees, didnt think much of it. Same thing the next day, and the next. on the third day however, at 2pm while driving with engine up to temp, i began POURING white smoke. needless to say this happened once or twice daily all weekend. the smoke comes in spurts of 30-45 seconds tops and then normal again. i didnt feel any noticeable decrease in power, but the boost gauge will no longer go in excess of 30 lbs. (stock gauge). after some extensive searching on here i decided to take it in yesterday. i told the dealer my symptoms and that i would like everything checked (EGR coolers, turbo, etc) They called me back this afternoon and told me that my truck is passing all diagnostic tests and everything is just fine... i went and got it and within 1 hour (engine up to temp, 60 degrees and sunny) i was pouring white smoke...WTF? No smoke for a week, no "cleaning exhaust filter" message at all for a week, boost was reaching 35-40 lbs for a week. Now its "cleaning exhaust filter" every day, pouring white smoke at least once a day (when i say pouring i mean shutting the road down!), and boost only hits 30. im very confused so here are my questions...
1)does any of this sound normal?
2)does it just sound like regen?
3)should i take it right back to the dealer and raise a fuss?
4) should i just do the dpf delete, h&S mini maxx and egr delete now and be done with it? That would be under the assumption that these are just all bugs in that emissions system...

i traded my 5.4 1/2 ton for this because i needed too. i need this bad boy to last me AWHILE... ive always wanted a ford diesel and i finally took the plunge, just need some knowledge and advice here. thanks alot in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011, 10:05 PM

fiderius22,

Don't quote me on this but I thought there was a TSB out there for a "charge air controller" for excessive white smoke under certain conditions. Someone more knowledgeable may chime in.

I myself experienced twice when it was raining out, as I started my truck and began to pull out of my shops drive I poured tons of white smoke but with a loss of power. At that time someone referenced the TSB to me under the those conditions, I gave it the TSB info to my local dealer and they simply told me 180/hr to diagnose please. I decided then that unless it threw a CEL I wouldn't have them "diagnose" something that doesn't stick out.

Two months later I ordered the DOC/DPF Delete with a H&S Mini Maxx, haven't seen it since. I don't know if it was related to the emissions system or the "charge air controller" but I haven't had it happen to me since.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think it has something to do with the DPF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.