fuel mileage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 06:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BLKF250
fuel mileage

What kind of fuel mileage you guys seeing wit your rigs iam barely getting over 300miles to a full tank does that sound right at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011, 06:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I might suggest calculating your actual mileage, its real hard to see how well or not you are doing by just saying 300 miles per tank.

Last edited by chinaman; 10-25-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:29 PM

What?
I don't think I understand all I know about either of those posts!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:41 PM

What I do is when I fill up to the max till the pump shuts off I reset my trip and see how long I go before I fill up again and it came out to a lil over 300miles this is half city half hwy this make more sens? My 6.0 would go an easy 400miles
Old 10-26-2011, 04:43 AM
I, 1, 2, 1/2, 6

How heavy footed are you? Mine does ok, went on a trip out of town last weekend, truck info screen told me I got 17.5 avg mpg. Hand calculated when I filled up it was 14.5. That wasI cruise set at 70. With this engine and a heavy foot, I could easily see getting 300 miles to a tank.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:03 AM

I get on it really good once ever few days I mostly baby it but when iam at a stop n give it gas a lil it will haze a puff of black smoke cuz iam pretty sure Tht from the tune tho....I wonder if I just set it to no power gain if Tht will help my mileage
Old 10-26-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKF250 View Post
What I do is when I fill up to the max till the pump shuts off I reset my trip and see how long I go before I fill up again and it came out to a lil over 300miles this is half city half hwy this make more sens? My 6.0 would go an easy 400miles
One thing to note is that you stop filling when the pump shuts off. The problem with these tanks is that the vent hose is super long inside the tank. This results in a fillup that is sometimes 5 to 6+ gallons less then a full tank. In other words, if you have a 30gallon tank, your only actually taking advantage of about 25 gallons. Depending on what your handcalc results in, that could be 50+ miles at least.

To address this, you can either sit at the pump after the initial shutoff and fill it slowly until the fuel settles at the top of the filler neck. Or perform the harpoon mod which will allow more fuel into the tank before the initial shutoff.

I see anywhere from 400-470 regularly between fillups.

Last edited by smotrs; 10-26-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

BLKF250
It seems like you are doing everything right in regards to your filling, as long as you are consistent.
I typically put the nozzle on full throttle then let it go til it shuts off. This takes out any inconsistency with fill ups regarding air in the venting.
It doesn't matter if it actually full as long as you fill it to the same point.

Then just keep doing what your doing, but go the extra step and do the math for us so we can see your actual numbers. take the mileage since your last consistent fill up and divide that by the number of gallons you just put in.

The problem with your current method is; how full is the tank when you fill up, know way of saying it was the same as last time, it could be off by a couple gallons and thats screwing your math.

For example 300 miles an puting in say 23 gallons is 13 mpg, where as you could be puting in 26 gallons and that same 300 miles per tank would be 11.5 mpg

Thats why you need to do the math
Old 10-26-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaman View Post
I typically put the nozzle on full throttle then let it go til it shuts off. This takes out any inconsistency with fill ups regarding air in the venting.
Actually, your method isn't as accurate as you might think. The fuel can foam differently depending on temperatures and what types of additives are in the fuel from the fuel stations. As a result, you could end up with more or less fuel everytime you fuel up.

The only way to know exactly how much fuel you put in each time is visually. This is why allot of owners recommend fuelling until the fuel settles at a certain spot within the filler neck. In my case, I fill it until the fuel level sits just above the vent hole on the inside of the filler neck. In this way, no matter what fuel brand or how much it foams, I will always have the exact same level from one fillup to the next.

As I read the rest of your reply, it sounds like your thinking along the same lines, but your first statement kinda throws a wrench into it. If I do the same thing, prior to the harpoon mod, it would shutoff way too early. I could slowly add another 5-6 gallons of fuel after the pump had shutoff because of the length of the vent hose.

Last edited by smotrs; 10-26-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:17 AM
I, 1, 2, 1/2, 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKF250 View Post
I get on it really good once ever few days I mostly baby it but when iam at a stop n give it gas a lil it will haze a puff of black smoke cuz iam pretty sure Tht from the tune tho....I wonder if I just set it to no power gain if Tht will help my mileage
Hmm, my 6.0 actually got better MPG's being tuned. Prolly close to 2-2.5 mpg better than stock. I would think the tune could only help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.