60,000 miles.....seeing "white smoke" - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 10:07 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
60,000 miles.....seeing "white smoke"

I purchased a 55,000 mile 2010 SDCC about 4 months ago and will admit, the whole diesel experience is new to me. The truck is bone stock and overall I am pleased so far. Lately I am noticing "white smoke" from the exhaust at take off from stop lights. It may last for 10-20 seconds and then clears up. The truck is running fine and I don't notice any loss of power. It seems to do this after running at temperature, not at startup. I may go 200 miles and never see it, and then it will happen again. Anyone know what the white smoke might be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Are you losing oil as well ??? I have had/ have a turbo oil seal go causing white smoke on accel and decel after up to temp (when cold, the oil was to thick to get past the leaky seal enough to cause smoke I guess). If your losing coolant (and not oil), its probably an EGR cooler, maybe a head gakset, but more likely an EGR cooler on a stock tune truck..
Old 10-23-2011, 10:23 AM

I'm not losing coolant...level remains consistent. As far as I can tell, I'm not losing oil either. It was just changed and has consistently read full on the dipstick.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:16 PM

Sounds like it happens when its in regen if its around 200 miles... Ford says its normal
Old 10-25-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstan2010 View Post
Sounds like it happens when its in regen if its around 200 miles... Ford says its normal
Fords reflash prevents regen at vehicle speeds under 30 mph (hence the "drive to clean filter" messages) as apparantly 1800 degree exhaust was setting stuff on fire next to trucks that were in regen sitting still. Like when parked in the drivway next to the hedges, the regen exhaust was setting the hedges on fire, which would then set the house on fire. Fords lawyers suggested they stop doing that. So if he seeing the smoke stop lights, it shouldn't be due to regens (shouldn't be , but lots of things "shouldn't" happen that do).
Old 10-25-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonm View Post
Fords reflash prevents regen at vehicle speeds under 30 mph (hence the "drive to clean filter" messages) as apparantly 1800 degree exhaust was setting stuff on fire next to trucks that were in regen sitting still. Like when parked in the drivway next to the hedges, the regen exhaust was setting the hedges on fire, which would then set the house on fire. Fords lawyers suggested they stop doing that. So if he seeing the smoke stop lights, it shouldn't be due to regens (shouldn't be , but lots of things "shouldn't" happen that do).
What do you mean? My regen comes in if im in drive it came on the other day while driving under 25mph and i have the latest flash. Not sure where your getting your info from. If your in drive and standing still your truck can go into regen.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstan2010 View Post
What do you mean? My regen comes in if im in drive it came on the other day while driving under 25mph and i have the latest flash. Not sure where your getting your info from. If your in drive and standing still your truck can go into regen.
I read it off ford tech description of the flash update (don't remember the number) about eight months ago or so. Unless there is an even newer flash that changed it again , stock trucks shouldn't regen under 30. But ford may have changed it again.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:25 PM

If the air is damp or it is raining this could be the CAC there was a recall on them. They were building moisture
Old 10-28-2011, 03:07 PM

Normal....You are regening. Most likely you have had a regen try to finish multiple times and it was interupted.....Either by putting it in park or by turning off your truck. Mine will blow white smoke at the begining of a regen if I have missed a few attempts at regening completley. If I am good and run my regen cycles until they are done, I DO NOT get white smoke.

Sorry for the spelling, I'm typing on my phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.