Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Few 6.4L questions

3K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Strokin6Liters 
#1 ·
Hey, new to this forum I usually harrass on duramaxforum seeing is how I own one but Ive been maybe looking at getting an 09-10 F-350 6.4L. I like the way they look and the stance of them and hear they are pretty stout with just the spartian tune and a exhaust. BUT, I know you have to pull the cab on them to do almost any work to them and I dont like to hear that. also can you run off road fuel in them? not asking if you think I should or the fine I can get but it wont leave me sittin along the road will it? the Dmax runs it no problem and has for 180k miles, love the truck but the IFS sucks and its been run like a dog since new and im ready for a change, also what flies apart on the 6.4's with a big tune and how long have the trannys been holding up? any major issues after 100k? sorry for all the questions, thanks Reger.

#3 ·
I put around 700-15oo miles on my truck every two weeks so it wont take long for me to get things to break so i;d like to have it taken care of before it does. I'd rather have a 6spd. manual how are the clutches taking the tunes?

#4 ·
I love mine but I have never tuned it or ran off road fuel in it so I am afraid I can not offer you any info.

#5 ·
From a reliability standpoint, I'd recommend an EGR delete in addition to a tuner. As for the cab having to come off for engine work, there certainly isn't much room underneath the hood. I've never used off road fuel but I don't see why you couldn't run off road fuel as it is still ULSD. Just dyed for easy identification as being off road fuel.

#7 ·
Yeah, EGR, PCV reroute, 5in. exhaust, intake, tuned, leveled and 35's will be the first thing done before its drove, Just wondering if theres any other little things that come out these in a week like oil coolers, head gaskets, clutch, whatnot.

#6 ·
Thanks but I cant have a stock truck, stock just gets you home from the dealer, No one arounds here has a modded diesel other than a lift and cheap chips so whatever I have it doesnt take much to eat them up but I dont want to buy one of these trucks fill it up at the rig and put a big tune on it and have it sittin along the road the second day I own it. I slung the HG's out of my Dmax the second week I owned it and drove it like that for 60k miles dumb but it took it, dont wanna do that again.

#10 ·
thats not too bad, the ZF6 in the GMs won hold that stock, whats the dual disk cost gotta be cheaper and way easier to change than the autos.

#11 ·
Yeah it held it well. I got the 650hp clutch because I will never make that much power. It cost me about $1700 shipped. I didn't install it because I don't have a transmission jack or big jack stands but I know a mechanic at the dealership and he put it in for me for $200

#12 ·
you not had HG issues or nothin yet. sorry for all the questions but I run the guts out of my truck all the time just driving, Ive put studs in and heads in mine and valves i melted the valves, other than that ive just put stouter parts on it and beat the **** out of it and its took it.

#13 ·
Its fine man. We are all on here to try and learn a little. I haven't had any issues at all and mines been tuned for about 20k miles. 6 speeds are hard to find but definitely worth it in my opinion. If you ever have any more questions later on down the road don't be afraid to shoot me a PM. I'll help you out as much as I can.

#14 ·
Thanks man. The dealer said they cant keep 6spds. in as soon as they get them theyre gone hope I can find one, I really dont want another auto.

#16 ·
I really dont want another auto.
From what I read/heard, prior to purchasing my truck, the auto transmission is very good compared to GM's and Dodge's. Is it bulletproof, no, of course not. Will it hold up if you constantly romp on it and do boosted launches, no. If you're nice to your tranny and respect it with only mild doses of "fun," you should be ok. Granted, it is a lot cheaper to make power with a manual tranny.

#15 ·
Yeah they are definitely pretty rare. Your best bet is on autotrader or craigslist. It took me about 4 months to find my truck and I had to go to Alabama to get it. Actually come to think of it, I pretty sure there is a CC SB 6 speed for sale on powerstrokenation. I talked to the guy about it. If you want, I can get you some info on it.

#17 ·
yeah ive heard they are pretty stout, this allison has took a beating daily and has held up longer than most the c3's are almost gone and its been tuned for 146k miles, its due for a build but been putting it off havent had time with work to dump it off to big dipper for a suncoast. Strokin, what options does that truck have on PSnation?

#18 ·
All I know is that it is a CC/SB 2010 F250 FX4 with a 6-speed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.