9mpg towing...normal I think? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
9mpg towing...normal I think?

Hey there, typically I don't fret too much over fuel economy as I figure there's not much I am going to do about it...still gotta drive. However I am slightly concerened for an upcoming trip. I intend to head out from Colorado up to the tetons, then head over to niagara falls, then to upstate NY, to the keys, then back home.

I tow skidsteers and pallets fairly often but I noticed towing my camper (2004 arctic fox 30u, bumper pull) my mileage is a lot worse, bout 9 going 75.

So my question is, is this typical, I am spartan tuned, and straight piped, thats all, oh and I am running 35'sx13 duratracs

Furthermore, I figure the best tune empty is the 275, towing I backed it down to the 210tp, is there a better option, the truck yanks the trailer just fine so I don't necessarily need the power more than I would like better economy.

And as much as I would like to just go slower I foresee I will want to go the posted limit as its a lot of miles

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2011, 08:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Oh and thats not a hand calculated 9, the meter says 9 and change so I figure with the larger tires, and the fact that typically the meter is inaccurate its actually probably pretty close.
Last time towing it said 9.6
Old 10-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

hmmm... I towed 9k up through the mountains a while ago and managed to get 12.3 hand calc'd on my 38's. I'm a 3.55 gear ratio though so maybe that has some contribution?
Old 10-15-2011, 03:48 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I am not sure if it is normal or not. I would say it is ball park if your truck were stock.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:19 AM
Premium Member

damn, I know this isn't as heavy as two skids but i towed a 1978 trans am for delivery from Sussex, NJ to Upstate VT and got 22.3 towing... That was with the lie o meter but i didn't go a hair over 55. RPMS were right around 2300.

Tom
Truck-
2008 ford f250
6.4 diesel
Edge CS Chip
Tow Tune
DPF Delete w/ MBRP Cool Duals Straight Pipe \
Old 10-15-2011, 08:30 AM

i tow my 8-9000 lb travel trailer.....getting 350 miles to the tank so that is around 10....but im averaging 70-75 mph.......on my wild tune
Old 10-15-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkobes43 View Post
damn, I know this isn't as heavy as two skids but i towed a 1978 trans am for delivery from Sussex, NJ to Upstate VT and got 22.3 towing... That was with the lie o meter but i didn't go a hair over 55. RPMS were right around 2300.

Tom
Truck-
2008 ford f250
6.4 diesel
Edge CS Chip
Tow Tune
DPF Delete w/ MBRP Cool Duals Straight Pipe \
WOW......you were getting 750 miles per tank? cause that would be 22 mpg.
that is amazing
Old 10-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

And I thought I would also say that the trailer weighs aroun 8500 lb empty, and sits a touch higher than most, I think its more an issue of wind resistance at 75 than the weight, only reason i say this is because my skid with no attachments is right at 10,000 plus any attachments that are on the trailer, and the trailer itself is probably 3k ish but I am not sure and my mileage is better with the skid
Thanks for the input
For anyone wondering my egts were fine, and sometimes it would hit 40 psi going up some of the hills (trying to maintain 75 mph), is 40 psi sustained ok?
Old 10-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Just got done towing my 5th wheel 13,700# 1,800 miles on level roads at 63 - 68 mph. Best I got was 10 mpg. I have the egr delete, Banks inner cooler, high rise and turbo back 5" exhaust. Not towing I get around 18 - 19 mpg. Sure would like to get 12 mpg towing it would make a big difference in how far I go.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:53 AM

I live in the Pacific NW and travel frequently through the Cascades, Sierra's, and the Central Rockies. I get 9-10 hand calculated pulling 9K 5'er with an additional 700 lbs of extras in the bed. Typical average speed going up, down or flat on the interstate is about 70 mph. Maybe a little less on the US two lanes. MPG goes up to 11 at that point. All stock at this point. But looking for tuner with out DPF delete.

2010 F-350 4X4 CC LB Lariat 3.55 11.5K GVWR Nicely decortated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.