Another looking for advice on a 6.4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another looking for advice on a 6.4

For a few months now I've been searching every dealer within 300 miles (I have to go through a dealer) for a used (100,000 miles or so) 06-07 F-250/2500HD CC. With all the 6.0 nightmares, I always felt the DMAX would be the more reliable option at that mileage even though I know both have their own share of problems and the DMAX would probably cost more.

Right when I found what I believe to be a spotless 6.0 for a good price (06 F250 CC Lariat 100,000 miles at $18,999), I came across a nice dmax (07 2500HD Classic CC 120,000 miles with all the bells and whistles), for $24,999 which was way more but just seems like I'd sleep better at night not having to worry about egr/head issues.

So then I figured at that price I should look at some 6.4s and came across a comparable one (2008 CC Lariat with 130,000 miles for $24,500) so now I'm torn between the 6.4 and the DMAX.

Long story short: Will I end up spending a ton of cash on fixing the 6.4 or should I pay more for an LBZ?

Last edited by reighnman; 10-13-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 12:45 PM

i didn't realize high mile trucks sold for that much....
Old 10-13-2011, 12:48 PM

I'm sure they can be found for cheaper through private sellers but this has been about the price range I've seen from dealers over the past few months.

Sucks
Old 10-13-2011, 02:30 PM

I've had both a 6.0 and a 6.4. Get an oasis on that 6.0 and see what warranty work has been done. If it was extensive I'd probably look for another one. 06-07 are the best years for the 6.0. Most all of the problems you see from them are from lack of maintenance. I'm not going to bash the DMAX but I will tell you that I have worked on enough of those IFS front ends to never ever want one. One thing too about the LBZ is that they have a tendency to crack pistons especially with tuning. Its not a real common thing but it is out there. I personally would take a 6.0 in a heart beat. I loved the one I had. it was an 03 which was supposed to be the bad one but I never had one minutes trouble with it. One thing to consider in going to a 6.4 is that the mileage untuned with the dpf is horrible compared to the 6.0. The interior on the 08 and up trucks is really nice though. For the price difference you could stud, delete , and tune that 6.0 and have a whole lot more truck than the DMAX. Just my $.02
Old 10-13-2011, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the feedback, I was actually just thinking about being able to do that with the 6.0 as you posted. I ended up ruling out the dmax anyways as the dealer wouldn't come down, so now its between the 6.0 and the 6.4.

I agree not having the dpf is a big perk especially it would be a few months before I could take it out, and not dealing with emission tests which is standard here in IL on 07 and later diesel trucks. Is the maintenace on a 6.4 as religous as a 6.0? Ie I wouldn't go past 3k oil changes on a 6.0, not sure about the. 6.4.

-Sorry posted from my phone

Last edited by reighnman; 10-13-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reighnman View Post
Thanks for the feedback, I was actually just thinking about being able to do that with the 6.0 as you posted. I ended up ruling out the dmax anyways as the dealer wouldn't come down, so now its between the 6.0 and the 6.4.

I agree not having the dpf is a big perk especially it would be a few months before I could take it out, and not dealing with emission tests which is standard here in IL on 07 and later diesel trucks. Is the maintenace on a 6.4 as religous as a 6.0? Ie I wouldn't go past 3k oil changes on a 6.0, not sure about the. 6.4.

-Sorry posted from my phone
The 6.4 maintenance needs to be religious as well. With that being said the "severe duty schedule" is 5,000 mile oil change and 10,000 fuel filter change. Personally if I could do it all over again I myself would hold out for an 7.3. The 6.0 idea isn't half bad if you can find a clean 06-07, that can provide proof of maintenance. Any 6.0 that has been tuned I personally walk away from, my understanding is they run fine with scheduled maintenance and no tuning. It's the guys that romp on em and constantly push em that end up tossing a head gasket. That's just what a local powerstroke specific shop told me. They also told me for the right price figure in 5,000 and "bullet proof" it and you would have one nice truck.

Just food for thought.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:14 PM

For the 6.4 is 130,000 miles just too late to save the engine from itself? I mean if I bought it with low miles and was able to do a dpf delete before the regeneration process pretty much wore down the engine I'm sure it would probably last several 100k. Guess I'm just concerned about having to spend 10k+ replacing the engine shortly after purchasing, and there is really nothing I can do while I'm there to discover internal problems.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:24 PM

I know of several guys around here running high mile (150k+) 6.4's and they have had minimal issues and they are bone stock. Again see if you can't get an oasis report that will tell you a lot. I personally would hold out for a good 6.0 if you are worried. I love my 6.4 and I wouldn't be scared of a high miled one. If that 6.4 was maintained I wouldn't be scared.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:27 PM

Yea I already requested the report on both just waiting for them to get it to me, though one said the system was down today hopefully I'll get it tomorrow.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:41 PM

If you were worried about long term repair costs to me I would go for a 6.0. The main reason being is I personally could stomach a 5,000 head gasket repair and that's using ARP head studs etc. However the 6.4 seem to run great then all of the sudden the engine just decides to call it quits and your replacing the entire thing for 15k. I'm not too sure how long they last however I removed the DPF at 30,000 miles on my truck wanting to get rid of fuel dilution. I only run my tune on mild, and my drives are 30 miles of pure highway one way to work. So my truck hopefully see many miles ahead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.