40ft weekend warrior towing - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 12:16 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by smotrs View Post
Here's the specs on the 6.4's

As you can see, the F250 will not support that sized trailer unless it's a 5th wheel. The F350 will be right on the bubble but still unsafe. The only one that can safely pull that load will be the F450.

Mind you, the above numbers are based on a 2008 model, but they didn't change the payloads until 2011's came out and not for the better. You actually lose towing capacity on the 2011's and newer trucks.

Slightly Off Topic: I'd like to see a picture of that thing with your truck in front. That's gotta look crazy.

im confused what are you so mad about alberta according to the table that is posted above i am still under the weight maximum fully loaded
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Stroker View Post
im confused what are you so mad about alberta according to the table that is posted above i am still under the weight maximum fully loaded
max wt for a F250 is 12,500.... you said you would be at 15,000......not exactly below the limit.....as far as towing goes....the biggest factor is the size and weight of the tow vehicle verses the size and weight of whats being towed..... when i first purchaced my current trailer, empty 7200lbs.i brought it home with my 2002 v8 explorer with a tow rating of 7400 . i thought no problem im under the limit..... if you could have only seen me towing home that 32 foot trailer, getting pushed past stop signs trying to stop....your truck will tow that trailer, but not safely, when chit hits the fan and someone does some crazy crap in front of you i hope you dont become part of the accident... good luck man.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:49 PM

CDL requirements per state You need to look at your gvwr and your trailers gvwr and then you need to figure out your tounge weight and make sure your not over your trucks or trailers gvwr. I tow a 38' triple axle cargo trailer and while it has triple 6k axles its gvwr is 12k and my truck is rated at 10K so I dont need a CDL as I'm under the combined gvwr of 26K. I have airbags on the rear and I haven't experienced any tail wagging even in heavy wind. And I have driven a semi with a 22' grain trailer and a semi with a 42' grain trailer and my truck fully loaded with a total weight around 22k still stops better than most semis. So I dont really know what these guys are talking about. That being said obviously a 450 would do the job better but your 250 will do it just fine.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:59 PM

I tow a 43 foot Cyclone toyhauler all the time (but I have an F-350 DRW). As for using an F-250, you can do it, just get some airbags and make sure your tires are up for it (E-load range in good condtion at least). Also make sure you have a good trailer brake controller (either the factory one or one that actually senses brake fluid pressure and adjusts trailer brakes accordly. I suggest Maxbrake if you don't have the factory one). Oh, and if you have 3:55 gears , you might want to swap those out for something a little lower (I have 4:30's and they make getting started from a dead stop and pulling uphill real nice, and my trailer weighs at least 18K when loaded)
Old 10-03-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44magnum View Post
CDL requirements per state You need to look at your gvwr and your trailers gvwr and then you need to figure out your tounge weight and make sure your not over your trucks or trailers gvwr. I tow a 38' triple axle cargo trailer and while it has triple 6k axles its gvwr is 12k and my truck is rated at 10K so I dont need a CDL as I'm under the combined gvwr of 26K. I have airbags on the rear and I haven't experienced any tail wagging even in heavy wind. And I have driven a semi with a 22' grain trailer and a semi with a 42' grain trailer and my truck fully loaded with a total weight around 22k still stops better than most semis. So I dont really know what these guys are talking about. That being said obviously a 450 would do the job better but your 250 will do it just fine.

thanks for the imput it seems like ppl just like to tell you your wrong sometimes. i think i will be fine as well and i know ford rates the truck lower then what it can really handle. they have to for lawyer reasons.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Stroker View Post
thanks for the imput it seems like ppl just like to tell you your wrong sometimes. i think i will be fine as well and i know ford rates the truck lower then what it can really handle. they have to for lawyer reasons.
If you are gonna do what you want anyway, why waste everyones time asking questions that you already have "your" answers to? It has been stated how to legally tow that beast. Good luck and be safe.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:58 PM

I would also suggest a dually, especially with a 40 foot trailer. If you do alot of highway driving a dually is a world of difference.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:07 AM

Well since it's a 40 footer its defintiely a 5th wheel. 16,400 max weight for 5th wheel, but gcwr is 23,000. I know the 2008-2010 trucks are heavy so lets call it 8,500 lbs... 23,000 - 8,500 = 14,500 max 5th wheel size (without getting into tongue weight and so forth). Your insurance could deny a claim if something ever happened and they proved you were negligent in towing over the trucks legal limit.

You already made the purchase and ideally you would want to step up to a dually, but that's been stated. If the toyhauler doesn't have brakes on each axle then that would be a big plus in stopping that thing. Pulling it isn't an issue. Gears may help your tranny in the long run (maybe 4.10s). Airbags are going to be a must (plus riding level won't blind oncoming traffic). Make sure you have a high enough load range on the trucks tires (E definitely; a blow out would suck especially considering its a SRW). Maybe consider a brake upgrade (not necessarily big brake kit, but good rotors, pads, steel braided brake lines)

You said mostly flat towing and carrying a sandrail. Are you in Cali going to glamis mostly?
Old 11-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Dazed and Confused!!!

08 F250, 4x2, 6.4, long bed; looking at 5th wheel toy haulers.

Saw the following in a previous post:

Originally Posted by Based_on_2008_model
F-250 16,400 lbs. 5th-Wheel Towing 12,500 lbs. Conventional Towing 3170 lbs. Payload 23,000 lbs. GCWR 10,000 lbs. GVWR 6000 lbs. Front GAWR

The Tire and Loading Information sticker in my truck says: "Combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 2430 pounds"

So, is my "payload" 3170lb or 2430lb? Is the Tire and Loading Information sticker number lower because of the tires (E rated)? My concern is fifth wheel "hitch weight".
Old 11-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I am going to go off of the idea that you don't want to sell your truck and get a different one. It seems that is the bulk of the advice on this topic, which in most cases doesn't make too much sense.

I have always viewed things with a few assumptions.
Depending on the topic manufacturers specs and limits are highly conservative in regards to what the PARTS can handle, the driver is another story, only you can answer this
Determine your trip length and frequency, if its not much then work with what you have

I would probably get air bags and a quality rear sway bar for handling and to keep even pressure on the tires as you are turning or stopping

get a high end brake controller, some think that the prodigy 2 is great, I think its ok, like someone else posted brake line pressure sensing would be better, not going to beat the factory TBC though

good NEWER e rated tires, I say newer because had an incident where a seemingly good tire destroyed the rear quarter panel when it blew and they weren't even maxed out on weight

Beyond that its all about how much risk you are willing to take. If you have a lot of towing experience then have fun, if not then you are definately taking a chance that IF things get out of hand you will be ill prepared to control the situation, and if your truck is a shortbed then you just about doubled the chance that a hairly situation could go for the worse

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.