Opportunity for a 6.4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to etalian
Opportunity for a 6.4

I have a family friend that may be selling his 2008 6.4 (not sure on Job number) to upgrade to a 2011/12 6.7. It's a beautiful black and gold King Ranch and I believe that he'd make me a good deal on it and I'd be getting rid of my Titan. But I do have a couple questions though and I hope that y'all will help me answer them.

1. I keep reading all these threads on here about how bad the 6.4 is and how Ford really screwed up...yada yada. Is the 6.4 as bad as I hear? Is it another 6.0?

2. How much would it cost to do a DPF delete, tune, and intake? I'm not going to upgrade to another truck that gets the same mileage as my Titan with more expensive fuel.

3. How reliable are these trucks with a tune? I don't want to go crazy and roll coal. But I love to put a rice burner in it's place from time to time.

4. It seems like everyone is pleased with the H&S MiniMaxx, DPF delete, and AFE Stage 2 Intake. What kind of hp/tq/mpg numbers should I expect with those installed?

5. Is the EGR delete necessary for someone who doesn't want to do crazy tunes? Or is it just a matter of reliability?

Thanks so much guys and I look forward to hearing your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 03:40 PM

I know just from reading the 6.4 is a pretty good motor. The emissions equipment kills the mileage more than anything. I know a good safe tune like you mentioned along with a DPF delete does miracles.
Other than that, this is all i got
Old 09-29-2011, 04:09 PM

I've got a 6.4 king ranch 08 first job. I've done a DPF delete with a 4 inch pipe all the way back. Spartan tunes, EGR delete with a new set of head studs. I ran the 275 tune from Spartan with just the DPF delete and cold air intake before I had the egr del and at 80k miles getting right about 17 mpg and right around 500 hp and 900+fpt. I'm guess at these numbers as I've not tested it but going off what others have said. Looking forward to what I will get now. The Cold air intake, tune and dpf delete through them was just over 2k and I was able to do it all in my driveway. All in all I think all the upgrades i've put on it's run me about 8k including the shop fees for their work. Not counting the 4 inch level/lift. When I had the head bolts replaced they removed the heads and sent them off to get checked. I replaced them and did the EGR del just because I wanted to make sure it was reliable. I might be lucky but it wasn't in bad shape at all with 80k miles on it. I had a 04 titan before and tuned it, changed the exhaust etc. Going to the 250 running Diesel was a big change. Very happy I did. I never new a diesel would run like it does.

Last edited by CreepyTC; 09-29-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etalian View Post
I have a family friend that may be selling his 2008 6.4 (not sure on Job number) to upgrade to a 2011/12 6.7. It's a beautiful black and gold King Ranch and I believe that he'd make me a good deal on it and I'd be getting rid of my Titan. But I do have a couple questions though and I hope that y'all will help me answer them.

1. I keep reading all these threads on here about how bad the 6.4 is and how Ford really screwed up...yada yada. Is the 6.4 as bad as I hear? Is it another 6.0?

2. How much would it cost to do a DPF delete, tune, and intake? I'm not going to upgrade to another truck that gets the same mileage as my Titan with more expensive fuel.

3. How reliable are these trucks with a tune? I don't want to go crazy and roll coal. But I love to put a rice burner in it's place from time to time.

4. It seems like everyone is pleased with the H&S MiniMaxx, DPF delete, and AFE Stage 2 Intake. What kind of hp/tq/mpg numbers should I expect with those installed?

5. Is the EGR delete necessary for someone who doesn't want to do crazy tunes? Or is it just a matter of reliability?

Thanks so much guys and I look forward to hearing your responses.
these trucks are great, you have to remember what you read on forums 9 times out of 10 are peoples problems from the truck, and if you go with h$s mini maxx, exhaust, and cai your going to be looking in the 560-590 hp range and i want to say 1100 lb ft of torque so the answer to #3 is yes you will smoke the hell out of a ricer, and when i say smoke i mean literally, the answer to #5 is most people do it for a reliability thing i plan on doing it as soon as i get the extra money. the h&s turns off the egr electronically but, you can still have failers just not as common. If you have any more questions about the H&S just let me know if your leaning more towards spartan hopefully someone else will chime in Both are great tunes with big power gains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.