my first powerstroke... any help is great - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
my first powerstroke... any help is great

hello all. i just purchased my first powerstroke (2008 F-250 XLT 6.4, supercrew long box) Ive always wanted a diesel and im finally here! Ive been a 5.4 3v gasser guy for awhile but its too expensive too really get what ya want out of it. Sold the Roush charged Mark LT and grabbed the powerstroke. But.... i have no clue about this thing!
I have heard good things about the fabtech 8" 4-link system and i like the pics ive seen of 250's with that lift. Opinions? Can my money be better spent as the kit is around 3-3.5k?
Also, i want to do a dpf delete kit and tuner immediately... A local shop recommended an Edge cts race tuner... good? bad? whats the best application? Best dpf delete kit?
ive read alot and it seems spartan is pretty popular.. dumb question, is that a brand or a custom tuner like Mike Troyer (5.4 gas tuner)
Basically i am asking for some information, opinions, knowledge. I dont wanna spend a ton but i do want to do this right. thank you all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 12:57 PM

Spartan is a manufacturer. They make a tuner called the Phalanx. Spartan is pretty popular as they are a Ford only tuner company. However, H&S is very popular with their tuner, the MiniMaxx. They have a more expensive BlackMaxx with a larger screen and the ability for a user to make there own custom tune but most people with just run a MiniMaxx. I'd do an intake, exhaust, and tuner. For intake, I'd recommend the AFE Stage II. As far as exhaust is concerned, depends on if you want a 4" or 5" and a muffler or not. The muffler is what will change the sound of the exhaust. If you don't want a muffler, a 4" exhaust is a 4" exhaust and a 5" exhaust is a 5" exhaust. I'd also do an EGR delete if your dropping the DPF.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:36 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I could be wrong but I don't think you can delete the DPF with the edge tuner. I would not recommend tuning with the DPF still intact. I had the Spartan and now run the xrt pro made by H&S. Both are solid tuning companies and are two of the best IMO.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb82 View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think you can delete the DPF with the edge tuner. I would not recommend tuning with the DPF still intact. I had the Spartan and now run the xrt pro made by H&S. Both are solid tuning companies and are two of the best IMO.
by not tuning with the dpf intact, do you mean to do the dpf delete kit at the same time as a tuner? i am new sorry, i just assumed that a dpf delete kit would remove the dpf all together?
after some research i think i will go with a Spartan. i had my gasser tuned by mike troyer because he is a ford only guy and i never had problems, as opposed to many of my friends who ran the same tuner with different custom tunes. i like using ford specific.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Advantage View Post
Spartan is a manufacturer. They make a tuner called the Phalanx. Spartan is pretty popular as they are a Ford only tuner company. However, H&S is very popular with their tuner, the MiniMaxx. They have a more expensive BlackMaxx with a larger screen and the ability for a user to make there own custom tune but most people with just run a MiniMaxx. I'd do an intake, exhaust, and tuner. For intake, I'd recommend the AFE Stage II. As far as exhaust is concerned, depends on if you want a 4" or 5" and a muffler or not. The muffler is what will change the sound of the exhaust. If you don't want a muffler, a 4" exhaust is a 4" exhaust and a 5" exhaust is a 5" exhaust. I'd also do an EGR delete if your dropping the DPF.
thank you very much! what do you recommend for manufacturers of dpf delete kits and egr delete?
are these all things that would be best done all at once (egr delete, tuner, dpf delete, intake and exhaust) or do i have some financial wiggle room to go step by step? if so, whats the best order?
is ford exhaust on diesel stock 4"? i dont think i would need to go bigger than 4" would i? i dont plan on ever throwing crazy hp to this truck, just wanna get rid of manufacturer restrictions, give it a little go, and keep it as a daily driver.
after some thread searching, i is my understanding that the egr delete doesnt have much risk but actually prevents fouling of the injectors as it stops the exhaust gas from recirculating?
Thank you again and i hope i am not becoming a nuisance!
Old 09-23-2011, 08:38 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
I would go with h&s or Spartan. Edge doesn't exactly have a good rep around here. You can either get a delete pipe.( that goes in the place of the dpf and you keep the rest of the stock exhaust) or get a full downpipe back system 4or5" straight pipe is cheaper ands isn't all that loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 09-23-2011, 04:47 PM

Agreed with the others above. Go with Spartan or H&S and you'll be happy. Most places out there offer package deals with tuner, intake, and exhaust. You say you won't go with a high HP tune, but they give you the best mileage. As long as you can keep your foot off the floor! And they're so much fun!!! Check out Rudy's Diesel. They're a vendor on here. Also, the Fabtech lift in nice and a decent price. I've got one and am very happy with it. The EGR delete is more of a reliability thing, but good to do for sure if your warranty is gone. Just takes awhile to put back on if you need to bring the truck in for warranty work. Guessing the warranty is gone though, so have at it.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiderius22 View Post
thank you very much! what do you recommend for manufacturers of dpf delete kits and egr delete?
are these all things that would be best done all at once (egr delete, tuner, dpf delete, intake and exhaust) or do i have some financial wiggle room to go step by step? if so, whats the best order?
is ford exhaust on diesel stock 4"? i dont think i would need to go bigger than 4" would i? i dont plan on ever throwing crazy hp to this truck, just wanna get rid of manufacturer restrictions, give it a little go, and keep it as a daily driver.
after some thread searching, i is my understanding that the egr delete doesnt have much risk but actually prevents fouling of the injectors as it stops the exhaust gas from recirculating?
Thank you again and i hope i am not becoming a nuisance!
If you're looking to save some money on doing the whole DPF delete, you don't have to buy a new exhaust if you don't want to. You can buy a delete pipe which is just a piece of pipe that fits in between the stock exhaust. Therefore, you don't have to replace the full exhaust at this time. I believe that the Spartan tuner circulates the EGR coolers where as the H&S turns it off completely. If you get a Spartan tuner, I'd do the EGR delete. If you get the H&S tuner, you're able to put the EGR delete off until time/funds allow. However, I'd still do an EGR delete with the H&S tuner. A CAI is something I'd do as soon as you get a tuner because it is a "minor expense" and there is a huge performance gain from them. You can probably get away with your stock intake but you'll go through filters like crazy. You can buy an S&B intake for like $200 and the more expensive ones are only a couple hundred more. Pretty worthwhile investment in my opinion.

As for an order, I'd do H&S MiniMaxx (I prefer H&S over Spartan because of shift on the fly settings, their higher tunes don't cost extra, and their programmer is cheaper than Spartan's. You also don't have to pay a licensing fee if you change trucks. People say that H&S's transmission programming is better than Spartan's too). Next, a CAI because it doesn't cost too much, EGR blockoff plates and CFM Elbow, and then full exhaust.

Stock exhaust on a Ford is 3.25 inches I believe. Once again, your choice as to 4" or 5" exhaust. 5" will be louder than a 4". Don't think there would be a noticeable EGT reduction in 5" versus 4" but you can wait for more members to chime in.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:46 PM

Get a down pipe back 5" exhaust, EGR cooler delete, Cold air induction, and a good tuner from Spartan-H&S-SCT. Then enjoy your 450-550 hp truck.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:44 AM

WELCOME!!!

Research, Research, Research... This was my first diesel and this site is the best out there IMO hands down.
Pull a Oasis report on your truck so you know its history! This truck has had some issue, mostly minor, but its always good to know.
I know it's easy to get wrapped up in the whole modding/lifting this awesome truck, but really you should do the "essentials" first.
1. Tune/delete H&S or Spartan $14-1800
1a. New intercooler/turbo boots and straps $2-400 (cheap insurance)
2. Fuel/water separator: AirDog2 D-165 or FASS $5-700
3. CAI and Exhaust $7-1200
4. IF everything on the truck is good then get the lift and wheels and look into doing a FULL EGR delete ($1700), headstuds $5-700 too.
This is just my opinion from all my research and its also what I have done in this order. Others may say do something else, but this can get you started.
OH!! The first few mods will get you 5-600 HP and 1000-1200lbs of Torque at the Wheels!!!!!
Good luck and keep us posted,
Dom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.