Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.4 Problems? Things to watch out for?

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  04hdfatboy 
#1 ·
Got a friend who's thinking about getting rid of the ol' 7.3 for a 6.4. I know the 6.0 problems, but is there things to watch out for in the 6.4? Help me out here haha

#3 ·
These newer engines don't like water in the fuel system so you have to drain the water separator religiously. They also don't like the higher % bio fuels that some stations use, so know what fuel the station provides. Monitor the fluid levels more frequently, specially if you have the DPF. Stay on top of your routine maintenance schedules.

These newer engines require more attention then the older 7.3's so he will probably have to change his mind set a little regarding the above.

#8 ·
No, that thread is over blown. Sure, there are problems, but every vehicle has problems in some form or another.

#10 ·
Funny thing is that guy had a 6.0L and says he loves it... Dealer techs see the same trucks every day so I can see how their opinion is jaded. But still had some relavent info in it... And yep banned woops

#11 ·
Tell ya the things I see most are problems with DPF, EGR coolers, and front covers(cavitation)... Fuel mileage stock kinda sucks? Just drove a 08 with DPF delete and tuner and WOW what a runner!!! Just not sure how it will hold together.:dunno:

#15 ·
i am going to switch to peak final charge. I hope that takes care of the cavitation issue. The other 2 have been taken care of :thumb:

#13 ·
Some comments about the Duramax engine are just down right ignorant.
It's a Power Stroke forum. Of course, our trucks are the best! Every forum/board thinks their trucks are the best. Have to take what you read on them with a grain of salt. Also doesn't help that the main troll in there, PSTech is a huge fan of GM so there no doubt would be some ignorant comments about them by other users. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

:twocents:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.