PLEASE GIVE ME much NEEDed ADVISE< 6.4 ps or 6.7 ps - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PLEASE GIVE ME much NEEDed ADVISE< 6.4 ps or 6.7 ps

hey everyone i am new to this site but have always been a ford fan.... I currently own a 2006 6.0 ps crew short box, I love this truck, but it has also drained my saving within the last year or so... I am FORSURE going to trade the truck this fall but i am really having a problem deciding what i want... I love the 08-10 body style, but the 6.4 makes me nervous. I love the New 6.7 ps but the body style is still growing on me... the reason i know i love the new 6.7 is because my old man bought one... NOw the reason the 6.4 ps makes me nervous is because i have seen videos and heard of these motors destroying pistons which we all know this means $$$ and new motor, oil coolers and egr valves . What i am looking for is LOOKS, reliability, which i have heard good things about tuned 6.4ps , but doesnt make it perfect...I want to Hear the good and the bad...I have a buddy who works for Alligator Performace who claims he can damn near make a 6.4 bullit proof...What does everyone think!! Thanks guys, love this site
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome. Check out the truck in my sig. Nuff said.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:25 PM

The 6.7 PSD is a totally different animal compared to the 6.4. I loved every second I was in the seat of a 6.7 KR while test driving it. If my 6.4 had more miles on it, I'd trade it in for a new 6.7. Unfortunately, I have less than 25,000 miles on my '09. I think all new diesels equipped with the emissions stuff are problematic and cause concerns about reliability and longevity. This is for all brand, not just Ford. The 6.4 is destroying pistons because of the EGR cooler. These incidents are pretty isolated but have happened. If you like the look of the 6.4 over the 6.7, get the 6.4. The reliability issues with the 6.4 can be eliminated by getting rid of the emissions clogging system. At the very least, get a tuner and EGR delete. I'd recommend that in addition to an intake and exhaust.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would love to hear what your buddy does to make the 6.4 bullet proof. I have a 2010 f350 cc short box tuned with a black maxx and dpf/cat delete and love it. 24000 and no problems so far.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My buddy claims that with yes a tuner, exhaust, intake, and i don't have all the specifics, but something to do with the high pressure fuel system, maybe the pump, or filters idk for sure, i have heard of a couple instances where the something in the fuel system deteriorated and was ran through the motor, i know the 6.4 are fuel sensitive .... and depending weather i want a egr delete or not having a waste gate turbo, Now i am not a diesel expert by no means and still learning so no offense taken if him or me is wrong
thanks for the replies keep them coming
Old 09-19-2011, 08:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

oh and of course bullet proof comes from Maintenance and the way you drive it
Old 09-19-2011, 09:40 PM

Don't think the 6.7 is any different then the 6.4 when it comes to contaminates and water in the fuel. That and the emissions and either engine could go at any time.

That said, if you take care of the drive train, i.e. routine maintenance, watching fluid levels, don't abuse it, etc.. either engine will give you many many miles.

Remember, for every post or video where someone had a problem, there are countless others not.

--
Shaun

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide app.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:20 PM

I too test drove a 2011 F350KR and it was awesome. Fortunately, the 2010 F25XLT I bought instead was kinder to the pocketbook and I have no regrets. And a bonus to me on the 2010... No DEF.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
And a bonus to me on the 2010... No DEF.
I don't mind DEF. It's becoming more common on the OTR trucks that truck stops sell it bulk, right out of a pump. Only thing I don't like about DEF is that it freezes and you go into limp mode if you run out of it while driving. Guess you'll have to keep a bottle of it somewhere in the cab just in case. The cost of DEF is probably pretty close to the amount of diesel saved when our trucks are in regen.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Advantage View Post
I don't mind DEF. It's becoming more common on the OTR trucks that truck stops sell it bulk, right out of a pump. Only thing I don't like about DEF is that it freezes and you go into limp mode if you run out of it while driving. Guess you'll have to keep a bottle of it somewhere in the cab just in case. The cost of DEF is probably pretty close to the amount of diesel saved when our trucks are in regen.
I thought the 2011's have DEF and a DPF... so they would still have regen... DEF is for a totally different reason than the filter....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.