Ok guys convince on doing this mod - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 03:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ok guys convince me on doing this mod

I've been going back and forth ordering the EGR delete with CFM. Money is not the problem but just taking time for me to put it on is what I'm debating about. I know it's worth the money but spending a whole weekend doing this project is it worth my time like that?

Last edited by jac97psd; 09-17-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2011, 04:05 PM

If money is not a problem, let a shop do it. Takes about 9 hours to remove the EGR coolers.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:07 PM

Eh...I've done everything else to my truck and I know this can be done in the drive way. I don't like to pay for labor. So if I buy it I'll be doing it.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:16 PM

I just finished an EGR delete earlier today (the flo-pro kit from PTP). I did it in my driveway with basic hand tools and it took me about six hours start to finish. Was it worth it....only time will tell. Overall I didn't think it was all that hard, and I'd do it again.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the info. Are all EGR delete and CFM kits pretty much the same? I was planning on buying from Rudy's.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:28 PM

They are all pretty much the same. I went with the Pro-Flow kit from PTP based on price difference. The kit from Rudy's with CFM elbow is $500, the Pro-Flow kit was $400 (and PTP had free shipping on orders over $50 special going on). I'm sure pretty much anything from Rudy's is going to be a quality part, they were the ones I was orginally going to buy from but I just couldn't see what the extra $100 was getting me, so I went with Pro-Flow.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:12 PM

I too did the pro flo kit in my garage. It is not a complicated install......but it is VERY cramped in there. So prepare yourself to cut some hands and knuckles. I had fitment problems with all three block plates. I had to enlarge the holes in my exhaust flange b/c the block plate was a little tight, and its the threaded part. Screws would not line up. My coolant plug holes had to be enlarged too b/c the srews holding them them wouldnt hit the hole straight and they have to. Pain in the azz to do them too. No room to turn a ratchet.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:20 PM

Yeah I have the same view too, I'd rather do the work myself. I really want to do this mod, but I'm only pushing a 250 spartan tune so I dont think its necessary yet. Let us know how it goes and what you think about the part because I know a lot of guys on here want to do it!!
Old 09-17-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman28 View Post
I too did the pro flo kit in my garage. It is not a complicated install......but it is VERY cramped in there. So prepare yourself to cut some hands and knuckles. I had fitment problems with all three block plates. I had to enlarge the holes in my exhaust flange b/c the block plate was a little tight, and its the threaded part. Screws would not line up. My coolant plug holes had to be enlarged too b/c the srews holding them them wouldnt hit the hole straight and they have to. Pain in the azz to do them too. No room to turn a ratchet.
I guess they've change the kit a little then. I did it earlier today ( 9/17/2011 ) and didn't have any fitment issues. I thought the instructions lacked a little, they had a few spelling and punctuation errors which "could" lead to confusion (and if I'm catching that then something’s wrong because I am no English major). I also thought the instructions put some of the steps out of logical order (like they had you remove a hose , then do four more steps then go back and plug the hole you removed the hose from four steps ago, things like that happened several times). And lastly the instructions said to cut a bunch of stuff, don't know why, it all unbolts fine. I did the delete without cutting a damn thing so if I ever need to put it back to stock, I can. Overall I like the Pro-Flow kit. And if you were to follow the instructions, step by step, you would get the job done, I just think they could be better (a lot better actually). Overall I'll give the Pro-Flow EGR delete kit a 9 out of 10 and PTP a 10 out of 10.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:48 PM

I like Elite's kit. It's a bit more expensive than the Flo Pro kit. They're CFM is powdercoated and tapped but then you have to buy the blockoff plates. After everything is said and done, you're looking at $500.

Last edited by Alberta Advantage; 09-17-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.