Gear Swap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 02:27 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gear Swap

I am, looking to do a gear swap on my truck in a month or two, and wanted to get opinions on whether I should keep the limited slip that I have or get a locker for it, be it a Detroit or Eaton, I'm kinda on the fence, don't really know if I need something like the Eaton E-Locker if I'm not doing any real offroading. I just thought that a locker might be better in the winter time than a limited slip.

The only reason I'm doing a gear swap with my 35s is I have noticed more friction between the road and my tires, I can feel that I need more power just to get the tires to move, haven't noticed any drop in mileage yet, it'll probably take a couple hundred miles before that shows. But I figure that I'll go with the 3.73 gearing, as oppose to 4.10, just because the 4.10 I would see a good decrease in mileage. I'm not towing much right now, just driving a lot of miles. So back to the topic of the locker, let me know your opinions.
Thanks.

James.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2011, 05:10 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to eric.davis
Man. I wish you were closer I would swap you. I have 3.73s and want 3.55 or 3.31s
Old 09-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Go for the eaton true trac, best option for on the market IMO. No special additives needed, no clutches to wear out , works well for towing, only down side is the price. (FYI eaton bought detriot a few years ago so now they are one and the same).
Old 09-17-2011, 11:47 AM

I had a detroit in my bronco and would certainly do another. It always works, doesnt wear out, and is very predicatable. Would be a nice asset to a LWB truck..
Old 09-17-2011, 06:14 PM

I cant believe you can actually feel a drop in performance by adding a slightly larger tire. Not calling you out or anything, just saying, our trucks are power monsters, especially when tuned.
Anywho, Get the Detroit locker for 3.73 gears and you'll love it. Thats actually going to be my next purchase on the first. I had one in my last truck and loved it. I live in upstate NY and it does great in the snow. The only downside is, when its really slippery out it changes the driving characteristics quite a bit and gets her a bit squirrelly. If youre the only one to drive it, ie. no kids or wife the you'll be good.
Keep us posted,
Dom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.