King Ranch 6.4 or new 2011 F150 XL? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
King Ranch 6.4 or new 2011 F150 XL?

I have a 2010 F350 King Ranch. It is really tricked out and sports the 6.4 PSD. I like it fine. It's a dually, and rides great. But I have a few issues. Apparently the former owner of this truck did "something" such that when I brought the truck to the dealer for the "mandatory" computer reflash..the service tech told me that they would have to download the current programming before they could upload the new data. He said he didn't know why it would not take the new flash..and that "something" was up. This at the dealer that I bought the truck from. I have done NOTHING to this vehicle, but I get the impression that they think I did...I brought it in as directed, and the service writer says for now to use an additive to keep water out of the fuel as this is basically what the reflash will safeguard against. To do the reflash it will take at least a day and a half.

That said..I have the "opportunity" to trade this truck in, on a new 2011 f-150 XL crew cab with 4WD..but that's it..no options..nothing else. Reduces my payment somewhat, but I'm getting a far less optioned truck..and will start my payments at 0 months again. I have paid for the King Ranch for over a year now. And it is a nicely appointed truck.

The question is...IS the 6.4 considered a bad engine? More trouble than others? What say you?

Thanks for the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have several XL 150s and I can tell you that you will hate it coming from a King Ranch. But if finances warrant a downgrade then do what you must. My business partner has a 2008 6.4 with 250,000+ miles that has been tuned by Charles at KEM since100,000 and it runs now as good as ever. So no, the 6.4 is not a bad engine.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
keep the 6.4 you will love it dont ever trade down like that unless you absolutely have to
Old 09-15-2011, 05:29 PM

You would have to pry a 08 King Ranch out of my hands if I had one. I have bounced around from a 4.6 F150 (XLT), 5.4 F150 (Lariat) to what I have now 2008 F250 6.4 (XLT) and I would never give it up for a half ton, especially not an XL package. If I "Had" to downgrade financially I would find a used 5.4 with the new 6-speed tranny in a Lariat / FX4 trim.. but that's bout it.

I only have 30,000 miles on it, ordered up my H&S Tuner, Delete Pipe, Slapped new tires on it this week. I plan on keeping the big girl for a long time.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It really depends on what you need the truck for. If you "really" dont need a truck that size then stick with the 150. It's a lot less to maintain and better fuel economy. Now thats the sensible side of me.... the king ranch is gorgeous and the 6.4 when built right by the factory and tuned is just an amazing beast!!! period, there's no comparison. Can your pocket book handle the additional maintenance cost? Also dont forget to get the Oasis report from the dealer on the 350. Its a 2010 so it should be good to go, but just make sure.
Good luck and let us know what you get,
Dom
Old 09-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This was bought as a pre-enjoyed vehicle. The local guy who owned it piled 10k miles on it..then decided he had to have a new "ford built" diesel truck..I traded an F250 in on it and got a good deal as e dealer got it right. I have purchased at least eight vehicles from them. We have horses and tow a bumper pull two horse trailer. This current truck handles well but has three troublesome areas.

1. It has that weird "clunk" in the steering..when turning left and right on a winding road like we have here in the mountains..you can feel it "clunk" all the way. Dealer service dept says no problem. "that's the way these trucks are"

2. dealer can not perform the "mandatory" reflash. As stated earlier they are suspicious of a tuner being used and they are talking about a warranty void if so. I didn't do it. Previous owner may have and that could be the issue and that might be one of the reasons he traded it so quickly.

3. Going down our mountain the transmission "seemed" to stop engaging such that when we at the bottom..it behaved like it was in neutral..but was not.

Dealer is offering me a 2011 F150 XL super crew 4x4 and a reduction of 207.00/mo in payments.

I'm weighing my options, but seeing this site and all of the problems this engine has had, and how much to fix it..kinda scares me.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefflaur1 View Post
This was bought as a pre-enjoyed vehicle. The local guy who owned it piled 10k miles on it..then decided he had to have a new "ford built" diesel truck..I traded an F250 in on it and got a good deal as e dealer got it right. I have purchased at least eight vehicles from them. We have horses and tow a bumper pull two horse trailer. This current truck handles well but has three troublesome areas.

1. It has that weird "clunk" in the steering..when turning left and right on a winding road like we have here in the mountains..you can feel it "clunk" all the way. Dealer service dept says no problem. "that's the way these trucks are"

2. dealer can not perform the "mandatory" reflash. As stated earlier they are suspicious of a tuner being used and they are talking about a warranty void if so. I didn't do it. Previous owner may have and that could be the issue and that might be one of the reasons he traded it so quickly.

3. Going down our mountain the transmission "seemed" to stop engaging such that when we at the bottom..it behaved like it was in neutral..but was not.

Dealer is offering me a 2011 F150 XL super crew 4x4 and a reduction of 207.00/mo in payments.

I'm weighing my options, but seeing this site and all of the problems this engine has had, and how much to fix it..kinda scares me.
Just keep in mind that typically when people come online and look for forum's its to research an issue they are having. That is the reason you will see "any" ford forum when lots of people asking question's and it doesn't matter Ford, Chevy, Dodge.

I can tell you that my F250 doesn't have a clunk, and actually this truck drives "tighter" than any vehicle I have owned. When you went down the mountain was this in tow/haul where it was engine braking on its way down? I'm a little confused as to how it would feel like the transmission was in neutral, was it speeding up and just flying? I know when i'm in Tow/Haul mode and I am coming down a steep mountain I will tap my brakes for 1-2 seconds and engage the engine brake. It will down shift and then hold my speed until I get to the bottom, after I hit the bottom I give it a little speed and it will up shift and then take off again, sometimes it has a little delay before it will up shift maybe 1-2 seconds from applying the go pedal.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just in "drive" going very slowly down a switchback gravel road..very steep so we stay on the brakes as there are "water breaks" that act like speed bumps and you can't go fast at all..so it stays in idle all the way down. At the end of the driveway there is a main road. You stop to check for traffic then accelerate to turn on to the road. Sometimes it won't go. Engine revs, but no movement. Not real reliable. And erratic. Only happened three time in 6 months..
Old 09-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would have the manager of the sales dept. look into the reflash issue and see where your warrenty stands.If you have bought 8 vehicles from them they should stand by you.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I searched for my XL. Has vinyl floor, power windows, locks, mirrors, and cruise control...everything I wanted and nothing I didnt. My chevy before this was loaded with everything and I used none of it. Just worried. That being said, I would love to have a lowered 2wd lariat dually loaded out.....as a second truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.