Going from 410 to 373 gears in 08 F350 DRW? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Going from 410 to 373 gears in 08 F350 DRW?

Hey Guys,

Fairly new to the sight and diesels for that matter. Obviously like all other owners, I am looking for better milage out of my 08 DRW. Will I get better milage by switching from 410 to 373 rear gears, and not lose my towing ability?

I have seen others discuss with older models, 6.0's and 7.3's, but have not found any threads on same topic for 6.4's.

I tow a 30" Fiver, not too heavy, but will trade up to bigger and heavier at some point, so I don't want to kill towing ability.

Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkworm2 View Post
Hey Guys,

Fairly new to the sight and diesels for that matter. Obviously like all other owners, I am looking for better milage out of my 08 DRW. Will I get better milage by switching from 410 to 373 rear gears, and not lose my towing ability?

I have seen others discuss with older models, 6.0's and 7.3's, but have not found any threads on same topic for 6.4's.

I tow a 30" Fiver, not too heavy, but will trade up to bigger and heavier at some point, so I don't want to kill towing ability.

Many thanks
Not going to kill it, but you are dropping revs down about 100 rpms if you have 31" tires. if you have 33's or 35's your looking at about 150 rpms. Id leave it be and straight pipe it with a tuner. Thats more bang for your buck. I looked at going from 3.55's to 4.11's and it was going to be 2k all said and done. Tuner and pipes are 1200
Old 09-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

More info

I am running stock tires, just put new wheels on, stock size though, so whatever they are 265/70/R17's I think. I am through 4 gears inside of 35mpg with the 410's.

I have to imagine that if I can stretch that out a bit, so I can run 70-75 at around 2000 rpm, that I'd have to get better milage. Right now I am at about 22-2300 RPM.

I do have a Bullydog GT, DPF Back pipe, and S&B CAI, but all of that has made little difference in economy. I do get a little better milage towing, by about 1 MPH. That is only about once a month though.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2011, 08:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If its your daily driver then do the regear for the milage and deal with the small reduction in towing performance for the 10% of the time you tow. If its not your daily driver and you mainly use it for towing the leave the 4:10's in there (getting a better tuner and delete the DOC/DPF will get you better fuel mileage). I also have an 08 DRW that I use for towing (not my daily driver), and it has the tow boss package with 4:30 gears. Since I tow an 18K pound toyhauler, the 4:30 gears really allow me to get the thing moving from a stop and climb hills, wouldn't trade them for anything when the trailer is hooked up. And unloaded on the highway I get a little over 14 MPG at 75 mph (and around 9.5 to 10 towing 18k at 70 mph) would probably get a little better if I'd slow down a bit (those are DOC/ DPF deleted mpg's).
Old 09-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I hear you

I am definately going to do the DPF delete when I hit 100K. I am sure that'll make a huge difference. As for tuners, I have tried two and neither have made much difference.

That is why I was thinking taller gears or tires for a little better mileage on my daily driver.

Thanks guys,
Old 09-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
that bullydog you got is trash sell it and get h&s
Old 09-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ive heard

Thanks,

I've heard that the SCT and H&S are the bomb, with more custom tunes giving better economy. I don't have to worry about performance, and I don't race, so I was just looking for a little of both.

Honestly, I had the Ford factory reflash 11b23 done, and what a nightmare. They tune these things down if you stop in to check air pressure at the dealer, and man what a slug. Be that as it may, the best I can do is 17-18 at 65mph on the highway unloaded and no head wind, or 10-11 towning with my Fiver which only weighs around 10K loaded. If I jump up to 70 mph mileage drops to 13-14. I am not used to driving like ole Granny Alfred.

As I am new, the SCT and H&S was a bit pricey for me, and not really wanting to spend time with updates and custom tunes, I just wanted a little help. Yea, I know, near rear gears is going to be expensive, but then so will new larger diamater tires.

Thanks again,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.4 mods, milage, rear gears, towing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.