Blow off valve? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blow off valve?

I don't know much about these trucks. I have exhaust from the manifold downpipe and back with nothing but a small muffler. I have an afe air box/filter. H&S minimax on the mild tune.

2008 F350 4x4 Crewcab dually.

While pulling my 34 ft bumper pull with two rigs and a truck camper when I'm pulling a grade and the motor kind of bogs down(like you should've made the trans downshift)? it will build pyro. When it gets up to about 1000 to 1200 degrees when you let off of it there is a noise that sounds like a blow off valve or something...not sure but sound like its coming from the area of the air box.

I didn't own this truck long before i deleted the exhaust and added the airbox and tuner so I don't know if this sound was there before, I never heard it on my all stock F450.

All systems seem to be working properly and its been deleted for 2500 miles.

mac 'hope its normal' gyvr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think what you are hearing is what is a known as a "turbo fart". My truck does the same thing. I'm pretty sure your stock 450 does it , you just can't hear it as well with the factory air box in place.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

it sounds like what mine does, so yes its normal and fine if everything else is running well. I would be more concerned about lowering your EGT's. You can get a good water/methane kit for a reasonable price which will help a lot. What tune are you running while towing? The truck should have more then enough power for those pulls. I also bumper pull on some really steep grade, about 14,000lbs (yes i know what its rated for), Also what gear do you think you're in when it "bogs down"
keep us posted,
Dom

Last edited by strivingfirst; 09-13-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm usually towing something like this.

Total combo is around 25k, trailer is about 15k or so.

Its not that the grades are that bad, its that the speeds are low enough that the trans is in 5th while trying to go up an incline at 50 or 55...so I'm not building enough rpm to build the power. I want it to down shift but I think I'm being too much of a pussy to put the pedal to the floor so that it will downshift. Normally I like to build some speed coming down the grades to have it going up the grades, but when its a two lane road and grandma is always in front of you...it kills me.

I'm running the mild tune on the minimax.

I kind of figured this noise is something that may have been there before but the stock air box covered it up.

mac 'still learning' gyvr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.