Extended Warranty...to buy or not to buy?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 01:39 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Extended Warranty...to buy or not to buy??

My 2010 F250 warranty will soon be expiring since I just turned 30,000. I am leaning towards keeping this truck for 2-3 more years and until about 75-100K as of now since I have not seen very many 2011+ trucks that catch my eye like my 2010 plus I want to make sure Ford gets the 6.7 right before I jump on the band wagon. I am leaning towards purchasing a extended warranty since the repair costs of these trucks is so insane. The only problem I have had with the truck is a plugged dpf and bad exhaust sensors which ford replaced a while back under warranty.
So my question is, should I buy an extended warranty to 75-100K, and if so should I go with a basic, middle, or full warranty? I am thinking a Ford extended warranty would be best so I don't have to get tangled up in a warranty company no one will mess with like I have been on other trucks I have had.

What would you do or have you done?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2011, 02:41 PM

Your truck should a
Have a 100,000 mile diesel warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 09-03-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
Your truck should a
Have a 100,000 mile diesel warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
It does, but that just covers the engine. Not the rest of the truck.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Bumper to bumper will be up but you're powertrain will still be good. The powertrain warranty is where most of the costly repairs come from. Between the extra cost of the warranty, the deductible, things Ford considers as consumables/things that wear out due to age, and the rather small allowances for things like rental cars, I don't think extended warranties are worth it. If you are getting an extended warranty, I'd use the Ford EPP over a warranty honored by a third party as they do not have to use genuine parts. They can use aftermarket parts bought at a fraction of the cost of the genuine branded parts from the manufacturer.

In Canada, we only have one option of Ford extended protection plan for the warranty. There aren't different levels (basic, middle, or full protection) unless you've got a gas powered vehicle. There's just one diesel warranty here...
Old 09-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I would just get an extended powertrain warranty. The standard powertrain warranty on my 2010 6.4L is 60K miles. I bought the Ford ESP for 6-yrs-100K. The cost of repairs on any of the powertrain issues are huge. It's a gamble either way. The only way you win is if you buy the warranty and something craps out or you don't buy it and nothing goes wrong.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:17 PM

i went ahead and bought it when i bought the '08 i got about 3 months ago . to make me feel better.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:14 AM

What kind of prices you guys are being quoted and is it through Ford or an aftermarket company?
Old 09-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesilingdave View Post
What kind of prices you guys are being quoted and is it through Ford or an aftermarket company?
I bought mine through the dealer when I bought my truck. I probably got screwed. I paid $2200 for 6 year, 100,000 mile bumber to bumber, rental car, zero deductible. However, at least I don't have to worry about a huge repair bill for 6 years.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcok View Post
My 2010 F250 warranty will soon be expiring since I just turned 30,000. I am leaning towards keeping this truck for 2-3 more years and until about 75-100K as of now since I have not seen very many 2011+ trucks that catch my eye like my 2010 plus I want to make sure Ford gets the 6.7 right before I jump on the band wagon. I am leaning towards purchasing a extended warranty since the repair costs of these trucks is so insane. The only problem I have had with the truck is a plugged dpf and bad exhaust sensors which ford replaced a while back under warranty.
So my question is, should I buy an extended warranty to 75-100K, and if so should I go with a basic, middle, or full warranty? I am thinking a Ford extended warranty would be best so I don't have to get tangled up in a warranty company no one will mess with like I have been on other trucks I have had.

What would you do or have you done?
Thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got a mechanical breakdown warranty from my Ins. company (GEICO) that covered most everything that ford didn't cover, after 36K, for a $250 per incident deductible. Cost was about $6 dollars a month.

Only used it for three incidents (1) radiator and upper radiator hose, (2) passenger side AC blend motor, (3) drivers side AC blend motor. Even with three incidents it paid for itself 3 times over.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i just had both power steering hoses split.....at 38,500 miles $745.00 out of warranty........i would get the extended bumper to bumper....something is always going out.........and its always spendy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.