MAYBE new owner. Could use some help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 11:56 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question MAYBE new owner. Could use some help

Hello everyone im new to the powerstroke. Im trying to sell my Tacoma and I have it posted in the for sale thread here. If I can sell it im looking to buy a 6.4 or a 6.7 cummins. I know this is powerstroke forum and everything but I love the cummins I know it is a very dependable truck. I really like the look of the 6.4. I know cummins trannies suck but the cummins is a very good engine. I dont know about the 6.4 thats why im on here. I know you can make good power with the 6.4 better than the 6.7. The trannies in the 6.4 are probably better than the dodge but i have been reainding about the 6.4 and some are having problems with the fuel system like the high pressure pump. Im looking at a 6.4 with 87xxx miles. Lifted 6" on 22's and 37's. I would just like some advice about the 6.4 please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i can tell you the trans in the dodge does not suck anymore. The 48rfe in the 04 thru 07 was pretty good. Not as good as the 5r100 in the 03 up fords but still good. The 68rfe in the 07 up dodge is real good. The aisin in the cab and chassis dodge trucks is awesome.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmount View Post
i can tell you the trans in the dodge does not suck anymore. The 48rfe in the 04 thru 07 was pretty good. Not as good as the 5r100 in the 03 up fords but still good. The 68rfe in the 07 up dodge is real good. The aisin in the cab and chassis dodge trucks is awesome.
The dodge im looking at is an 06 mega cab with 70k on it and another is a 08 with 47xxx. I know 87k on a diesel is nothing but I don't know how the 6.4 is compared to 6.7 Cummins. The 6.7 has half the miles than the 6.4
Old 08-23-2011, 12:30 PM

the 06 dodge is a 5.9 and the 08 the 6.7
The 6.7 is basically the same but had some emissions changes. All the computer programming etc dodge has figured out.
I like ford and dodge. I dont get into the bashing of one or the other. Peoplecan buy what they want.
I think the dodges have come a long way since pre 03. They had weaker transmissions(47re) and the trac bar in the front end had a ball joint in it.(always failed)
I can tell you the dodge is a lot easier to work on or have work done to then the 6.4.
Me I would jump on the 08 dodge if all is being equal.
I think the 6.4 fords(especially red lariats are real hot looking.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:35 PM

I was seriously thinking about a cummins but I couldn't bring myself or afford to but a good used truck then in the next couple years turn around and stick up to $8K into bulletproofing the trans, then spending more money on the fuel and air systems to make a cummins that would make the same power as a 6.4 with an intake, dpf delete and programmer. Yes at some point I might have to upgrade the transmission but for me it will be a long while before I have to do that. If given the option avoid the job 1 trucks as they can have a few problems. That being said I love my job 1 6.4.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:52 PM

You would not need to spend 8k on a trans for the dodge. Its as good as any trans in the 08 ford.(of course we can argue this all day) After this post i am done in this thread.
You certainly never have to pull the cab to change any turbos or anything else in a dodge. The newer 07 up dodge interiors have gotten nice too.
I like fords, dont get me wrong, But i can not afford the payment and not have a warranty, and need any expensive complicated cab off repairs. Theres nothing i cant fix on the dodge in my dirt driveway.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:42 PM

Well go over to the cummins forum and see what they say about the pre-6.7 trans. (
I know little about the 6.7's transmission but from what I hear they are pretty good.) I was under the impression everything but the last 1/2 year of the transmissions on the 5.9 basically sucked. From the research I did before I bought my truck the 5.9's would need a turbo, injectors and cp3 minimum to reach the 6.4's stock power potential. But I do agree the 6.4 SUCKS to work on, then again I used to working on newer cars which aren't allot different although you don't have the option to lift the cab to get at stuff. The biggest issue I have with the 6.4 (or any DPF equipped truck) is removing the dpf and risking the massive fines involved. Take it all for what its worth. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:50 PM

Oh and go to suncoast or Ats etc etc and look up a top of the line bulletproof trans and see what they get for it. Plus a top of the line torque converter, Plus a couple hundred for a trans swap.... Unless their prices have changed allot in the last year and a half, I was figuring for about $8k all said and done.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmount View Post
The ford transmission is a 5R110. I had a 6.7 dodge. The 68RFE is a good transmission but will not hold up to power like the ford tranny. Mod for mod the 6.4 will smoke the 6.7 anyday. I had a mildly modified 6.7 and the ford with an intake, exhaust, programmer and egr delete has way more power. I love the power and reliability of the cummins. It will all come down to what you prefer. The reason i sold my dodge is that i had death wobble from hell
Old 08-23-2011, 03:45 PM

I aggree its easier power with the 6.4.
I had 4 of the dodges, 04 and up. I like them all but like my fords too.
If I was buying a truck(this is just me) I would not buy it to see who or which one is faster. There are a lot of fast dodges out there. But me, I wnt to do up a 05 up z06 vette or a mustang super snake. Or an older 70 cuda.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.