Lift with gooseneck towing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 07:15 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lift with gooseneck towing

I'm going to put a lift on my 09 HD here shortly. I was originally thinking of the icon 2.5" lift. I plan to stick with the 35" tires but i tow a gooseneck trailer fairly often. My question is, can I get by with a 4.5" lift, or am I asking for trouble? I should say these trailers are nearly always loaded down to max towing capacity, but I don't go far.

I'm also thinking of removing a leaf from the rear, adding a single block with whatever lift I go with up front to level it out, traction bars and overload air bags for when I do hook up the trailer. I'm thinking this would provide the best ride quality for everyday driving and allow me to tow the max loads w/o issue.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Brahmus; 08-16-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 07:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I am not a fan of towing GN with a lift, but what kind of trailer?
Old 08-16-2011, 07:51 AM

The heaviest one will be a 36' Dual wheel, tandem Dove tail deck over. It's usually loaded with the dozer or excavator. (Read "extremely heavy") The most common is a 24' low boy with the tractor, mini excavator, or small dozer. Then there is the cattle trailer, but that isn't of much issue. Like I said, I don't go far. Most of the time I rarely get up to posted speed limits. We do small construction/dirt work in and around my local town, so we just move from one site to another, all within a few minutes of each other.

I agree and understand your concern, hence why I posted up. I don't see an issue with the 2.5", but I'm not sure if the 4.5 is 1. actually 4.5", 2. to high to load properly or 3. an issue with he weight.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:22 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
It comes down to clearance for the gooseneck, rear will be lifted 2.5". best riding kit will have a front true front 4 link arm kit. The best for towing will be rear 2.5" mini spring packs by Deaver..Pure Performance 4.5" kit comes std with both..PM me if I can price one out or a Icon kit..

Cary
Old 08-18-2011, 12:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Axle wrap is something to consider when your talking about adding blocks and towing heavy loads.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmus View Post
I'm also thinking of removing a leaf from the rear, adding a single block with whatever lift I go with up front to level it out, traction bars and overload air bags for when I do hook up the trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Performance, Inc. View Post
It comes down to clearance for the gooseneck, rear will be lifted 2.5". best riding kit will have a front true front 4 link arm kit. The best for towing will be rear 2.5" mini spring packs by Deaver..Pure Performance 4.5" kit comes std with both..PM me if I can price one out or a Icon kit..

Cary
True front 4 link arm kit even with only 2.5"? I didn't consider the mini spring pack due to the stiffer ride when unloaded with is 85% of the time. Thoughts on helper bags as a substitute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforcex2 View Post
Axle wrap is something to consider when your talking about adding blocks and towing heavy loads.
Yes agreed, they are par to fthe equation that I spoke of in the beginning.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:30 AM

Yes 2.5" with 4 link arms..best riding kit you can get IMO.
Air bags best option for a truck thats not towing alot..the rear mini spring packs don't ride that bad empty..and don't wrap like taller blocks.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Performance, Inc. View Post
Air bags best option for a truck thats not towing alot..the rear mini spring packs don't ride that bad empty..and don't wrap like taller blocks.
You say "thats not towing alot" as in alot of weight, or as in alot of time on the hitch?

And you say "don't ride that bad empty" does that mean worst that stock? I "feel" as if the rear end bounces around on bad roads and assumed it was from an oversprung rear, am I wrong?
Old 08-18-2011, 12:20 PM

Alot of time towing

These trucks are designed to haul weight so anytime they are empty they will be stiff..nature of the beast.

Yes the mini pack will be stiffer than a stock spring..I don't mind as I use my truck to mainly haul weight in the bed or tow..plus roads in NV are great unlike Ca or other states.
The Excursion is whats used for day to day pleasure driving.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:49 PM

a 4.5" is perfect for towing a goose neck. I got a icon 4.5" and tow my goose neck all the time with no issues around a 10k-15k avg on weight and i even flexed out the truck and trailer and still had a few inches between the bed rail and trailer. A 4.5" is the perfect hight to still use your truck and mike it look a little bigger. I'll post a pic of what mine looks like hooked later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.