Strange sound..... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Strange sound.....

On my 2010 f-250 4X4 I have an occasional sound coming from the front drivers side wheel. It all started with what sounded like a rock stuck between the brake pad and the rotor, I would get out and look and could see nothing out of the ordinary.

It has now turned into a rattling, kind of tinny sound, almost like the shield is loose, but everything is tight and seems to be as it should.

I can hear it when the truck is rolling and I am NOT applying the brakes. Most of the time when I hit a small bump in the road, like an uneven road surface, like on a cobblestone street. When I apply the brakes the noise goes away.

I have never heard the sound while off road.

It also does not seem to do it while at highway speeds.

Anyway, this has me puzzled. Any body have any ideas where to look next?

Thanks in advance for any advise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB1970 View Post
On my 2010 f-250 4X4 I have an occasional sound coming from the front drivers side wheel. It all started with what sounded like a rock stuck between the brake pad and the rotor, I would get out and look and could see nothing out of the ordinary.

It has now turned into a rattling, kind of tinny sound, almost like the shield is loose, but everything is tight and seems to be as it should.

I can hear it when the truck is rolling and I am NOT applying the brakes. Most of the time when I hit a small bump in the road, like an uneven road surface, like on a cobblestone street. When I apply the brakes the noise goes away.

I have never heard the sound while off road.

It also does not seem to do it while at highway speeds.

Anyway, this has me puzzled. Any body have any ideas where to look next?

Thanks in advance for any advise!
does it make the noise worse when you turn to the right.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

No, not any worse when turning to the right. Or the left for that matter. I have taken the wheels off and checked everything out and I cleaned it all real well and it kept on doing the the same noise for about a week after I did all that.

The odd thing is the last 2 days, not a sound. It is like the truck just self corrected itself. Either that or the whole from end is about to fall out from under the truck!
Old 09-23-2011, 09:55 PM

Hmmm weird well for future ref. There are zerk fittings on the inside of your wheel if u turn your tires to the right or left u should see them on the 4x4 knuckle near your brakes you might have to spin them by hand to locate the fittings they might be starting to dry out
Old 09-25-2011, 11:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'll look at that and see about greasing them. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 09-28-2011, 09:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Could be a wheel weight working its way loose? Do you only hear the noise at higher speeds? If so it is probably a wheel weight.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:06 PM

So, have you found anything out about it, also to it could be your hub going out but, usally when they do they are louder when you turn to the opposite side that the noise is coming from.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:33 PM

I was getting the same noise. My rotors look pretty rusty. I assumed it was rust coming loose and getting stuck somewhere. I blew out a bunch of crap with some compressed air. It's not as bad now as it was.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well the sOund has done it in the last couple of weeks. All has been normal. About a week before the noise stopped I had taken the wheels off and cleaned all the dirt and debris out from around the wheels, and shocks and such.

I am assuming it was a small rock or something stuck between the backing plate and the brake assembly. There is a place on top of the caliper that really holds a lot of trash and after I cleaned it it seemed to do better, but I was still able to hear it. It then stopped a few days later and I have not heard it since.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have the same problem with my truck. I think it is the rust on the rotors. My mechanic is looking at it today. Says probably the rust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.