Starting to wonder about my egr coolers. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 04:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starting to wonder about my egr coolers.

I have been running an H&S XRT for about a year with DOC/DPF delete. It's the one with 40,80 and 120HP tunes. I usually run the 80HP tune unless towing then I use 40. I have been noticing a small amount of coolant loss with no visible leaks. It is a pretty small amount like 4 oz in 1000 miles. I see no white smoke or smell any burning coolant. I am wondering if egr coolers are starting to go. Isn't this tuner supposed to turn off the egr system? It still sounds like it cycles on and off. You can hear distinct changes in the sound of the exhaust. I assume that is the egr doing it's thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deamsphelps View Post
I have been running an H&S XRT for about a year with DOC/DPF delete. It's the one with 40,80 and 120HP tunes. I usually run the 80HP tune unless towing then I use 40. I have been noticing a small amount of coolant loss with no visible leaks. It is a pretty small amount like 4 oz in 1000 miles. I see no white smoke or smell any burning coolant. I am wondering if egr coolers are starting to go. Isn't this tuner supposed to turn off the egr system? It still sounds like it cycles on and off. You can hear distinct changes in the sound of the exhaust. I assume that is the egr doing it's thing.
Im not sure if the ert kills the egr but, i know the mini max does at the higher tunes like 250 and above i believed.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:32 PM

Your valve is turned off, but you will still have coolant flow.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:03 PM

Your running the "easy" tune set and those will still cycle your valve at idle. It is possible that your losing a little coolant through a crack egr cooler but I wouldn't think that is very likely. I would also say that that a pushed headgasket is very unlikely with those tunes too, as I ran them through the winter and they don't have near the ooomph of the "hotdamn" tunes. Is your truck a job 1 by chance??
Old 08-12-2011, 08:27 PM

I believe it is a Job 1. Manufacture date is 5/07. Already had radiator replaced but that was a visible leak near the front passenger side as many others have. I am just afraid of a hydrolock situation. I only have 26,000 miles and about 16 months left on factory drivetrain warranty. I guess I will keep my eye on the coolant consuption. If it gets worse soon, I will revert to stock and take it to dealer. But I feel like, why mess with more inferior parts? I would like to go with the Bullet Proof Diesel EGR coolers. But at about $1100 for both plus installation, I'm not quite ready for that yet. I know many will think, just delete the egr altogether, but I just want a reliable diesel with no dpf and acceptable mileage and power which I am enjoying now. I just don't want a ticking time bomb. How much coolant consumption is too much?
Old 08-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to eric.davis
If you want to keep it looking factory then I would invest in some blocker plates until you decide to delete the whole EGR system in entire. That way you don't have any coolant passing through them and the possibility of flash boiling your coolant which is probably what is happening. The blocker plates are like 30 bucks. Just call any of the vendors and they should be able to set you up. I would also trace the entire coolant system and see if you are leaking from any where else. Another spot might be your upper radiator hose since you have a job1. There is an updated hose that has 2 o-rings in it vice the one you have now. But if your under warranty still and really concerned about it just bring it into the dealership.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.