Questions about doing a tune/delete - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Questions about doing a tune/delete

Okay, I ended up going with the xl 350 and now I am interested in doing some engine modifications. This is a work truck so the biggest thing I am interested in is improving the mpg. Here are my questions:

1. I believe what I am looking for is the egr delete. Are they hard to install/remove? This truck is still under warranty and from what I have read, if you have service work done it can void your warranty.

2. Where would be the best place to get the equipment?

3. Do I just need an egr delete or do I need a tuner as well?

4. Would you have to remove it for any work done at a dealership? (oil changes,etc)

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman2000 View Post
Okay, I ended up going with the xl 350 and now I am interested in doing some engine modifications. This is a work truck so the biggest thing I am interested in is improving the mpg. Here are my questions:

1. I believe what I am looking for is the egr delete. Are they hard to install/remove? This truck is still under warranty and from what I have read, if you have service work done it can void your warranty.

2. Where would be the best place to get the equipment?

3. Do I just need an egr delete or do I need a tuner as well?

4. Would you have to remove it for any work done at a dealership? (oil changes,etc)

Thanks again!
First off any mods can void your warranty if the dealer really wants to push it. I have not did the egr delete yet from what I have heard most people dont do them if they care about there warranty, they just stick with the dpf/ cat delete. I might be wrong though hopefully someone else will chime in. You will need a tuner, im dpf/ cat deleted and im getting 22.8 hand calculated on the hwy unloaded and 16-17mpg in town of corse it droped hauling a trailer. yes, I would recommend removing any mods when you take it in for dealer work. I hope this helps.

Justin,
Old 08-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you for the info. That is good to know about the egr. Where would I be able to find the tuner, dpf, cat delete? Does it come in a package from somewhere? Thanks again
Old 08-11-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman2000 View Post
Thank you for the info. That is good to know about the egr. Where would I be able to find the tuner, dpf, cat delete? Does it come in a package from somewhere? Thanks again
DPF Delete Kit, Race Tuners, DPF Delete Pipe, DPF Delete Exhaust System
this is where i got mine, it was the cheapest place at the time, but there are a ton of diesel websites just google diesel accesories and try and find the cheapest you can, most everyone on here run either h&s or spartan tuners and yes you can find package deals. there was one site that had tuner, dpf delete, and cold air intake and they would send you a quote im not sure what the quote is and i cant remember the site but, im guessing around 1500 for all three things. I would read up on the egr if that is what you want to do but, H&S automatically turns your egr off on the higher tunes, the down side to that is the fact that you can still have a egr failer. I am going to delete mine in the near future just for added protection. maybe somone else will chime in cause im kinda wondering about how much of a pain it is to install.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:39 AM

there is a video on youtube of a guy replacing one of the egr cooler. It doesn't look like something I'd get into myself. It shows him removing several parts to get to it.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

to the OP go to Performance Truck Products - DPF Delete Kits & Diesel Performance Parts from MBRP, H&S, EDGE, Diamond Eye, Banks, BullyDog or talk to DSTRB here on the .org he works there, they have DPF/DOC and tuner packages, thats the best way to gain the mileage
Old 08-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I spent hours and hours reading internet forums and researching this and I settled on the Spartan tuner and a DPF/Cat delete. I think it cost around $1650 for the package last winter. I'm very happy with it. I just added a cold air intake, but I wish I had done it along with everything else. My mileage has gone up dramatically (enough that my wife doesn't have a problem the the amount of money it cost).
Old 08-12-2011, 11:41 AM

The EGR delete is a little more involved and time consuming to get done. All the parts you will pull off the engine are not easily accessible. The same goes for putting it back on to go get warranty work done.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm running a Superchips 1856 with AFE 4" SS CAT/DPF delete and very happy with it. Paid $700 for the package. Probably doesn't do everything that the Spartan does but I think it's a good low end set up.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:19 PM

I went with H&S mini max, S&B intake and a Flo Pro cat/ dpf pipe. I really like this setup. I get 16 around town when I stay off the juice pedal but I am not sure about hwy yet I have had my front bumper off and swapping grilles and all that stuff. I will finally be finished the front end mods this weekend. Any way I like the H&S because I can shift between four different power levels without retuning and H&S has been awesome answering any questions and updates and hotter tunes are free to download straight off their website. No secret codes or emails. I was retuning one time and my truck would not start after that. I called H&S and they helped me check things and figured out that my batteries died. They stayed on the line for half an hour with me. Great customer service.

Last edited by diesilingdave; 08-12-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.