Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Low Oil?

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Barry Smith 
#1 ·
I changed my oil today after 10,000 miles just like the dealer says and it was about 2-3 quarts low. Since I'm running a dpf delete with the afe stage 2 and spartan 250 and 275 should I cut down to 5,000 mi intervals?

#2 ·
Running a DPF delete tune (any power level) will allow you to extend oil change intervals due to no fuel dilution (fuel getting in the oil from regens), not shorten them. Changing oil at 5000 miles sure won't hurt anything (other than the wallet) but you'd be treating a symptom, not fixing the root cause. Oils going somewhere, find out where.

#3 ·
I agree, you have a leak somewhere or your burning allot of oil.

#4 ·
But there isn't any oil in my driveway anywhere and no oil visible from top or bottom of the motor. How can I diagnose if it's burning the oil?

#5 ·
I have NEVER had to add oil, not even a quart between change intervals as long as 10k miles. You should not be that low IMO unless something is wrong.

#8 ·
I'm deleted, have been for almost 50k miles. That's why I said something could be wrong.

#10 ·
I would check your oil level every so often to see how much your losing and at what milage intervals. If your burning through oil pretty regularly I would bring it in to get checked out. I've been deleted since 7k and I have 43k now and have never had to add more than maybe a 1/4qt between 5k oil change intervals

#11 ·
I have never been low I would agree to start watching it, are you sure you had the correct amount in on the last oil change, just a thought.

#12 ·
my only other thought is when you did your oil change or the dealership did you verify that the drain plug was on snug enough. I always check under my truck for oil spots after I change my oil and tighten if need be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.