Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Choosing between 2 08's

979 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  INJEKTER1 
#1 ·
Narrowed it down to 2 08's. The first is the lariat mentioned in my other postvwith 100036 miles. Obviously it is no longer under warranty but they say the oasis is clear and that all of the work needed has been done(talked to last service dept who serviced truck). This truck is listed at 22900.

The second 08 is an xl with only 55000 miles under warranty until 100,000. This one is listed at 17900.

What do you guys think? Should I play it safe and go with the low mileage and warranty or spend the extra money and get the fully equipped truck with no warranty. I am new to diesel engines/trucks and need this to be a vehicle that will last. Obviously either truck will have all of the required maintenance done. I guess my concern would be if I buy the lariat (at the lowest price I have seen by the way) would I potentially be setting myself up to have some major issues in the near future?

Thanks!

#2 ·
when you say u need it to "last" what r you thinking? the 1st one already has over 100,000 miles on it....i would think that you will be putting more money into it...... a lot of things are going to be wearing out on it soon....in your price range i would get the one with the least amount on miles....

#3 ·
Thank you for the reply. By need it to last i just mean with proper maintenance and obviously dealing with wear and tear issues going at least another 100k. I know it will have some issues having 100k already which is fine. I was just looking to see if these engines had any major issues after 100,000 miles. Thanks!

#4 ·
45036 less miles is a year or two of driving, I would go for the lower miles, a lot can go wrong in that many miles.
Just my way of thinking, maybe you should keep looking.
Doug

#5 ·
Depends on how important the creature comforts are to you. The XL won't have allot of the features that the Lariat does. If that's not important, then go for the lower mileage vehicle.

#6 ·
Therein lies the problem smotrs and the reason this is a hard decision. The interior of the lariat is sweet and fully loaded. The xl pales in comparison, however has substantially less mileage. Do these engines routinely get 2-300,000 miles? If so I would love to jump on this lariat, if they are more in the 1-200k I might have to end up with the xl.

Thanks for all the responses so far!

#7 ·
Unfortunately, these engines are so new that we don't know. It is known that these engines were designed and built to address allot of the short comings of the 6.0 and there are some trucks out there with high mileage on them. I suspect the downfall of these engines over time will probably end up being the emissions equipment.

I can tell you I really like my Lariat. :)

#8 ·
If I understand correctly, if you modify with a delete and tuner you would void the warranty right? If I did that work on the engine with 100k, would that help increase it's lifespan? If I get the lariat, what would the biggest potential issues be expense wise?

Thanks again!

#9 ·
10-4 on that....getting rid of the EGR and DPF will increase the health of the motor.... not sure on what major issues could be....nothing in particular.... a tuner would aid in monitoring things.......:icon_ford:. tuff choice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.