Bullet Proofing the 6.4????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bullet Proofing the 6.4?????

I am in the process of getting rid of my 6.0 and looking at the 6.4s. I know there is some threads on bullet proofing the 6.0 but could find anything for the 6.4. Was just wondering what i was getting into if i buy a 2010. Thanks

If you were curious i looked at a 2010 F-250 29k on it. Crew cab short bed forest green. actually kind of an ugly truck but with the 20s i have shell clean up just fine. Dealer is asking $36k for it. Let me know what you think.

2010 Ford F-250 | Mendon MA Imperial Ford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2011, 01:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd811 View Post
forest green. actually kind of an ugly truck
You're twisting the dagger you just stabbed into my heart with that kind of language!

Forest green is a nice color. Don't see too many of them around either.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i love the color, sorry should have worded it differently, the truck as is just doesnt tickle my fancy. haha take a look i think youll agree
Old 07-31-2011, 02:17 PM

You would probably spend more money try to "bullet proof" a 6.4 than you would just fixing any of the rare issues you might have. The 6.4 is a big step up from the 6.0 in my opinion and I don't think you have nearly as many things to worry about here.

However, I would recommend deleting the DPF to improve efficiency, power, and rid the engine of the regeneration process. Plan on spending around $1500+ for a delete pipe, quality tuner, and intake.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:22 PM

I have the upgraded/optional Ford 20" rims on my forest green truck and it definitely makes a huge difference in terms of appearance compared to the stockers. Truck looks like it's in excllent condition. Congrats on the new acquisition!

As far as the 2010 trucks go, they are pretty solid out of the box. The only 6.4 trucks that had some issues were the Job 1 and Job 2 trucks that were produced in late '07 and these issues have been sorted in the later production runs.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd811 View Post
I am in the process of getting rid of my 6.0 and looking at the 6.4s. I know there is some threads on bullet proofing the 6.0 but could find anything for the 6.4. Was just wondering what i was getting into if i buy a 2010. Thanks

If you were curious i looked at a 2010 F-250 29k on it. Crew cab short bed forest green. actually kind of an ugly truck but with the 20s i have shell clean up just fine. Dealer is asking $36k for it. Let me know what you think.

2010 Ford F-250 | Mendon MA Imperial Ford
Man if that is an XLT they better come down off that price with 29k miles on it. I got mine for 38k pretty loaded XLT with only 3 miles on it brand new.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im glad we ironed out the apperance thing ha dont want to piss anyone off. And thanks everyone for your input this was the first 6.4 ive ever driven and i like it alot.

I also agree they need to come down onthe price, its a pretty basic truck.

Hope ill be a permanent part of this forum soon!
Old 07-31-2011, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

to answer your question rather than talk about the color or price of truck.... ditch the dpf and put a dpf delete programmer that also disables the egr. itll be good to go. 6.4 w/ h&s or spartan is a damn fast truck.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:17 AM

Allot of the issues that arose in the 6.0's were addressed when the 6.4 was designed. So you don't have to put on head studs just to blip the throttle anymore. As long as all the TSB's were taken care of, the truck will run great and last a long time. Converting to offroad use will do away with the regen function and eliminate allot of fuel waste as well as make the truck breathe better. But be aware of the issues with the dealers, police and EPA nazi's that can arise in your area.

Oh, and nothing wrong with the forest green.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Unfourtunatly part of the reason im getting rid of my truck is 1. head gaskets/heads and 2. got in an accident. So i should hear back from insurance tomorrow if its totalled or not. Either way i want that truck. Definatly love to see what you guys did to yours because im gonna wanna do the dpf delte/exhaust, programmer, and an intake if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.