Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How to truck pull a sled

9K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  DieselFeverDisease 
#1 ·
Truck pulls at the fair tonight, I want to put my 08 in there but I have never done it before. I'm not sure how big the sled is going to be, but i wanted to see if I could get any tips that would be useful. Thanks! :icon_ford:

#3 ·
depending on the track there are lots of variables.

In leu of that heres what I'd do:

Hook up in 4 low, stick it in drive, push the go pedal to the floor.
when it shifts to second, slide the gear selector to 2nd without letting off the throttle.
towards the end, when it starts to slow down, down shift to first without letting off the throttle.
let off the throttle when the flag man flags you down.
have fun.

thats my vast well of knowledge from my single pull :hehe:

#6 ·
Nothing In good condition is going to break... if it breaks it was already on its way out.

#7 ·
to the OP, don't be afraid of breaking anything, these trucks are made to handle abuse and keep on going. its definately alot more fun than you could imagine. just be careful not to get hoooked, then it can become very expensive when you begin to drive further and further to hook to a sled. when i first started pulling, it was only local places (within 20 miles) over time i began to drive 50-60 miles away just to hook to a sled

#8 ·
Thank you for the good response, unfortunately i didnt get it in time and ended up pulling in 4wd high. lol Big Mistake! do not pull in 4 high ever... 40k pound trailer and 237 feet and my tranny is officially destroyed, it was embarrassing to say the least... I'm not doing that anymore.

#20 ·
Low Drive? never heard of that combination. ive always used 4-hi to keep up with high RPM's and tire speed to keep from over-stressing motor/tranny. and whenever in Drive, once it hit 3'rd gear it would nose dive, unless u manaully downshifted back into 2nd. But thats just my experience, maybe my built tranny is different.
But with the info y ou provided in post # 17, i'm definatly not going to argue with you. thats pretty damn impressive

#23 ·
haha, i laughed when it happened.. What else is new, It's always something... at least i dont have to drive it everyday. She'll be in the barn for awhile, patiently waiting like all my other junk laying around :) Thank's for the posts guys, i have been getting a kick out of them.

#24 ·
Ya'll that are talking about a second gear pull are driving 7.3's with 4 sp. autos... This guys got an 08 with a 5R. There is a difference. Apples to oranges (somewhat).

On a 6.0 or 6.4 with a 5R110 tranny I'd still say 4LO is a must, but the drive option is a good one for someone that doesn't want to have to think about it going down the track or the beginner. An even better option IMHO is start out in 2nd, manually shift to 3rd when the RPMS get close to limiting, and then back to 2nd when it bogs at the end.

#27 ·
my advice to tell you how to pull would have been to not pull lol....if your getting into it as a hobby and have a truck you hot rod, im all for it. putting a stock truck in a truck pull is suicide and i dont care what anyone says. no argument

#28 ·
Soooooo... Plans have changed a little bit for the better... going to strip my parts off the 08 and put it bone stock and trade it in on a '12 4x4 F350 SRW regular cab long box. Already have the people to chop the frame and turn it into a short box and install a kelderman air ride system... I'm pumped.

#32 ·
Boy what a roller coaster of emotion with this truck, dad has been driving the crap out of it while I have been gone and said everything is just fine with it... relearn problem?

#33 ·
From my experience,( and my opinion) I would say that your tranny is not "fine". I completely toasted mine, and for a few days it acted "fine" also, and all problems seemed to be gone.... Then it all the sudden decided to break completely, and My truck was on the back of a flat bed tow truck headed to Sun Coast head quarters (conveniently in my town). Maybe you are extremely lucky, and maybe it is ok... But at least your already prepared for the worst. I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune... I know that can be a bummer. Sun Coast builds an awesome transmission though!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.