ford policy on engine oil cooler? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ford policy on engine oil cooler?

what is their policy on replacing it? is it under warranty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2011, 10:47 PM

I can definitely see why you'd be on the hook for this. With a tuner and delete, they can pin the oil cooler failing on the modification of adding extra HP and torque outside of Ford's stock/engineered parameters. After all, the harder the engine works, the more lubricity it needs and more oil going through the stock cooler can probably kill it pretty quick on those higher tunes. The dealerships around here are not very mod friendly and if something fails as a direct or indirect cause of a modification, you're paying. Maybe, you have a more mod friendly dealership or can talk them into performing warranty works. The worst they can say is no, you're paying. Doesn't hurt to ask... Good luck with the fix.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:53 PM

well what i would do is change it all back to stock and then take it in, from what i hear is that the spartan is undetectable by ford...i wouldnt think theyd be able to pin it on the lift or any of that
Old 07-22-2011, 11:09 PM

For warranty work, I'd assume that the dealership will be as thorough as possible in doing it as they directly bill Ford for time and material. Therefore, the dealership will probably hook your truck up to their diagnostic equipment and see traces of a tuner.

Spartan's website says:
"Ford Motor Company has special algorithms in place within the factory computers to detect the download of a program from a non-Ford programming device; which triggers the diagnostic troublecode "P167F", defined as "Non-OEM programming detected." This code is only viewable with Ford dealer or Ford Engineering diagnostic equipment, and will
not be read or cleared by any other tuning device or diagnostic code reader on the market. This code is also stored in multiple computer modules scattered about the vehicle, meaning that "clearing" or resetting the engine controller alone will not force the code to go away."

Like I said before, don't be surprised if they won't perform the work for you at Ford's expense. Dealerships and the auto industry aren't stupid and they know what's available in the aftermarket. All the Big Three are the same. They can all trace programmers.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator

I just had my oil cooler replaced under warranty less than 3 months ago with no questions from Ford. Under my hood looked like a volcano went off when the coolant bottle filed up with oil. It was a hug mess, but was covered and would have cost me around 3,000 out of my pocket. Oil cooler failing has nothing to do with the engine being tuned. Ford cast the cooler using sand and if they don't get it all out it will eventuality plug up.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:03 AM

ok so from the answers i got from other forums i found that my thermostats are probably out of date and sticking...and my oil cooler needs to be flushed. it has not exploded so i dont think that it has failed or needs to be replaced. even if they void warranty i have an aftermarket warranty.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

I would watch your oil temp real close. Mine started running between 213-216 empty and it wasn't but a couple of days later and I looked down at my mini maxx and the oil temp was 265. I pulled off the side of the road smoke started rolling out and it sounded like a volcano under the hood. Mind you that I never got a check engine light and Ford stock gauges don't show oil temp and water temp was right in the middle. If it hadn't been for my mini maxx gauges I could have driven a lot farther and possibly done damage to the motor.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:41 PM

ok, ill take it to get it flushed on monday, ill also get the t-stats changed, im actually thinking of taking off the tuner and going back to stock so i dont have to deal with anything based off of tuning or nonstock operation so it all remains under warranty, i dont really need the extra power, i dont race so idk...maybe ill run the stock no dpf so it is all stock power without the dpf

im also going to get some direct gauges since the dash daq could be getting faulty info from a broken sensor or anything like that.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Advantage View Post
For warranty work, I'd assume that the dealership will be as thorough as possible in doing it as they directly bill Ford for time and material. Therefore, the dealership will probably hook your truck up to their diagnostic equipment and see traces of a tuner.

Spartan's website says:
"Ford Motor Company has special algorithms in place within the factory computers to detect the download of a program from a non-Ford programming device; which triggers the diagnostic troublecode "P167F", defined as "Non-OEM programming detected." This code is only viewable with Ford dealer or Ford Engineering diagnostic equipment, and will
not be read or cleared by any other tuning device or diagnostic code reader on the market. This code is also stored in multiple computer modules scattered about the vehicle, meaning that "clearing" or resetting the engine controller alone will not force the code to go away."

Like I said before, don't be surprised if they won't perform the work for you at Ford's expense. Dealerships and the auto industry aren't stupid and they know what's available in the aftermarket. All the Big Three are the same. They can all trace programmers.
B.S. the tech working on your rig isnt looking that deep..

Last edited by INJEKTER1; 07-24-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:55 AM

that is what i figured because there are sooooooo many people onhere that take their trucks back to stock and take them in for work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.