Considering '09-'10 6.4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 04:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Considering '09-'10 6.4

Hello everyone. I am new to this Forum but I am old dog with Ford big block and modular gassers in F-series trucks. My appreciation for Blue Oval trucks goes back to the late 70'. I just could not kill those that I have owned, either at work or at play.

Now, I am considering purchasing a slightly used 6.4 SD to possibly stretch a buck as opposed to the new price tags. Sure I know all that jazz about the new fuel economy but the money saved on the purchase goes a long way towards fuel. I have driven many Ford diesels but owned none. I need one now.

I have also read many of the complaints as well as praises of Ford's last Navistar engine. To me most of those comments are like beauty being in the eye of the beholder. Putting the nostalgic side of me aside, I need advice when considering mileage and the remaining warrantee. Getting back to the savings, there is $12-15K differance when looking at 2-3 year old comparable Superduty PSDs where I live. Most of these used trucks are in the 10k to 40K mile range and appear in excellant shape.

Having researched the problems with some older '08s, did Ford work out most of the bugs with the 6.4s by 09 and 10? And if so, what do most of you guys think about problems that are coverred by 5/60 warrantees? Is there something to be said for buying as low a mileage truck as possible since there may be a good chance of something expensive going "south" on it by 60K? All things considered I would like to think most of your truck's big ticket repairs (if any) fell within the 5yr 60K range. I know that if wishes were nuts we would all have a Merry Christmas. I just trying to cover my bases as best as possible. Because for me two things won't change; my love for Ford Trucks and what I expect out of them.

Cheers!

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2011, 06:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

had an 08 and put 78k on it only problem that truck had was a leaky radiator that happened somewhere around 50k which a lot of 08s had radiator issues i have a 10 now and have 30k on it and have had no problems yet. i do the dpf delete on my trucks tho some guys i work with run the dpf and around 100k or so the filter is bout used up and needs to be replaced I think they are really good trucks and u will like em alot

hope this helps u out
Old 07-21-2011, 07:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Bought mine new in 2008 but only have 35,000 miles on it. It has been a good truck. I had one problem with some EGR sensor at about 21,000 miles that caused a CEL. I've kept mine all stock and will until the warranty runs out. If you are worried buy one with the Ford extended warranty.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Bought my 10 new in January of 2010 and the only major problem I have had with the truck is a bad steering gear that went out twice.

I run completely stock and just rolled over 50,000 miles. I don't care for the DPF so much but it is what it is and has not been a real hassle for me to date. I figure if it comes time to replace it I will go ahead and just delete it then.

Otherwise I love the truck. It is a great truck!
Old 07-22-2011, 03:36 AM
Retired Army

Got my '10 in Dec '09 and have about 32000 on it with no major issues so far. I did have acheck engine light come on but it was a faulty sensor replaced under warranty. Good truck in my opinion
Old 07-22-2011, 03:58 AM

I suspect, with some exception of early 6.0 trucks, most Super Duty PSD owners are satisfied with their rigs. Fuel mileage always seems to be a topic of frustration. However, I just could not see Ford relinquishing the top truck honors by releasing sub standard engine packages. I will be coming home with a 6.4 this weekend. All that is left is color and sub-model. I have narrowed down the gear package to 3.55 limited slip though. Any thoughts?

I look forward to contributing to the 6.4 Forum.

Thanks to all
Old 07-22-2011, 05:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Dim Sum
I have the 3.55 gears and it tows just fine.

I've had some dpf sensors go bad in my rig, an engine removal for a bedplate oil leak, and a vacuum pump fail on me.

I have 17k on my truck. None of the repairs are "out of the norm" for this truck, but they are still repairs I've seen.

I run a delete, but am always worried about repair costs. I think if I was in the market today, I'd pass on the 6.4 and try to squeeze myself into a 6.7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.