Dealership Rip off - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 03:37 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dealership Rip off

Guys need a little help. The dealership is trying to charge me 746.00 to replace a accumulator for the AC in my 08 f450. Also they claim I have a leak on my low side port. I checked the price of the part online and it's $90.00. So that leaves about 656.00 for labor. The service write up guy says it's a half day job(4hrs). Does anyone thinks that's fair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2011, 03:46 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Haven't done an accumulator on a 08 on up truck yet, but that's probably about right. Most acumulators are buried in the dash pretty well. I'm sure Ford's going to charge you a little more then $90 for the accumulator also. If it is the accumulator leaking I don't think that's to horrible of a price. You have to figure in their charging you to vaccum down and recharge the system also. R-134 is probably going to run you 15-25 bucks a pound and you're going to need about 2 Lbs.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:50 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Are they saying the accumulator is blown out and you have a low side schrader leaking? I would just verify that the accumulator is leaking before you let them replace it. There should be signs of AC oil coming out the heater/ac box drain tube if it's leaking bad enough. Did you lose the AC all at once or did it just get warmer and warmer on you?
Old 07-06-2011, 03:59 AM

Yes. The accumulator is no good. Ac started getting warmer over a period of time, week or so. I threw a set of guages on it and was unable to get a good reading due to the gauge bouncing all over the place. I thought it would be the compressor the way the gauge was jumping. I did notice alot of 134 under the low side cap
Old 07-06-2011, 04:12 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Well the guages would jump around alot with a low freon charge. Was the compressor kicking off and on a bunch?

Ugh, I just realized I had a major brain fart here. For some reason I had it in my head that it was the evaporator leaking. My bad. Eh, 4 hours to replace the accumulator and recharge the ac is probably about right. Personally I would try and replace the low side shrader valve, recharge the system and then check for leaks.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If it makes you feel better, changing the evaporator core in my 98 TJ would be over $1200. $150 for parts the rest is labor, I've been quoted 8hrs for that job from the dealer.

Needless to say, I'm doing it myself when I get time.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Haha, you made the same assumption I did. He's talking about his accumulator/filter dryer, not the evaporator. The evaporator is sandwhiched in the heater/ac box, usually inside the cab. They can be a biotch to do. An accumulator is usually mounted in the engine compartment and is a little easier to get to. The low side port is sometimes built into the accumulator which might be why there saying they need to change it. Usually you can just replace the schrader valve in the port and be fine though. I don't have an 08 truck here to look at so I can't say how hard it is to do. They do cram alot of crap in there.......
Old 07-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Just looked at an 08 truck and the accumulator is kinda a pain to get to. It's tucked down behind the air filter near the firewall. 4 hours is probably about right to do the whole job. And the low side fitting would come with a new accumulator, which might be why there saying they need to change it. I would try and get them to just replace the schrader in the low side fitting and see if that doesn't work though.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmix View Post
Haha, you made the same assumption I did. He's talking about his accumulator/filter dryer, not the evaporator. The evaporator is sandwhiched in the heater/ac box, usually inside the cab. They can be a biotch to do. An accumulator is usually mounted in the engine compartment and is a little easier to get to. The low side port is sometimes built into the accumulator which might be why there saying they need to change it. Usually you can just replace the schrader valve in the port and be fine though. I don't have an 08 truck here to look at so I can't say how hard it is to do. They do cram alot of crap in there.......
Your right, I made the same mistake.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
if you don't have the means to do something yourself you pay someone else to do it

money in exchange for services, that's the way it has worked for centuries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.