Regens are KILLING ME!!! Normal?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Regens are KILLING ME!!! Normal??

Alright, this is my last straw with this truck. I love it, but I'm to the point of having enough.

/rant on

I've been back and forth with the dealership and I finally got them to replace my cracked turbo inlet pipe. While it was there, I asked them to update to the newest computer flash (gave them the letter that Ford had sent me), and expressed concern that my Exhaust Cleaning cycle was very, very frequent. To keep on good terms with the dealer (been there about 6-7 times over the past 2 years and have been pretty hot at times over some stuff) I told them to go ahead and replace my fuel filters and flush my trans fluid. I took my truck in (after waiting almost three months - long story in itself) and had all that stuff done.
Looked at the ticket, and to address the regen problem they replaced my egr sensor and one egt sensor due to codes stored in the computer. I was tickled pink, thinking my truck was fixed and I could hopeully get 12mpg instead of the 9-10 that I was getting.
On my drive home, I pulled out of the dealership and got about 2 miles and "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" came up on my screen, and it stayed there the entire time. I thought the new flash made it just stay on for a few seconds and go off? Either way, it regened for about 30-35 minutes because I drove around in circles letting it finish (I HATTTTEEEE THAT!). So, I went and filled up, reset my trip and thought my truck finally cleared its throat. A few days later, I went on a trip (empty) and after driving 86 miles it went into regen AGAIN, but had to cut it short after about 15 min. WTF!?!?! So, I thought maybe it just had a lot of soot in there from I don't know what and blew it off as nothing. This past weekend is what has REALLY pushed me over the edge. I hooked my bass boat up and went on a fishing trip with my buddies. It's about 120-130 mile trip one way. It regened TWICE on the way down (I guess due to me cutting it short a few days before), and ONCE on the way back. I had 150 miles on a full tank (30 gal tank) and had 1/4 tank left and we had to stop and get more fuel to get back home. I spent $150 in fuel to go less than 300 miles round trip towing a 3000lb boat. I calculated something like 7-8 mpg or something like that. On a good day, empty I get 10 mpg. That is frick'n crazy!
Is this normal???? What can I do about this? I know if I take it back to the dealer, they will say "Cannot duplicate problem" and send me home like they have done several times. Truck is 100% bone stock, and has 56k miles on it. 2008, Job 1. When I first got the truck it was getting 12-14 mpg hwy, and now its lucky to get over 10, empty.
I've threatened before on trading in on a new Ecoboost, and even though financially it's not the best thing for me to do right now I'm really thinking hard this time about trading this truck even though they will only give me 22k for trade in. Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

DPF Delete has been considered as well, but what if something happends and gernades the engine? I don't have an extra $10k for a new engine to be replaced without a warranty. And I have the 7yr/100k mile Extra Care ESP with my truck.

/end rant

So, to get to my question...... is that normal for a 56k mile truck to regen that much? I swear it gets so hot that I think the truck is melting down. It's crazy!

Last edited by Shadrack; 07-04-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Delete that trash can, its not like you couldnt put it back on..
Old 07-05-2011, 06:38 AM

I average just under 500mi between regens when not towing, the fact that your getting such low mileage between regens indicates something is wrong and causing the DPF to get clogged faster then normal. Before you delete the DPF, get it fixed. If you had a stuck injector and deleted the DPF, it would hide that and end up costing you an engine.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:08 AM
Premium Member

Take it back to the dealer and get it all fixed under warranty. Then take off that damn DPF! I love my truck without the DPF. I think it was the best buy that i got for my truck...

Tom
Old 07-05-2011, 04:09 PM

I brought my truck to the dealer in April with 9 problems I wanted looked at/fixed.................. they fixed two of them, they said one was my fault and the other six are according to them....................... normal or cant be duplicated including excessive regen with lots of white smoke, engine "tick" after oil change, noisy vent actuator and my personal faovorite, a grinding noise that sounds as if the rear end is going out................ turns out it was dirt in the dust seals and needed to be cleaned, WTF. I asked how to prevent this, dealers response was "dont drive it in the dirt". Im not kidding either. I have a claim in with the BBB over my very expensive 2010 p.o.s. Hopefully they will take it back and i can get into another 7.3. Truthfully I like my 6.0 Excursion better than this 6.4. Sorry for the rant
Old 08-05-2011, 09:35 PM

Well, I'm thinking about keeping the truck for a little while longer because there is no way in hell I'm going to trade my truck in for 21k trade in, lmao!
Should I just go ahead and take it back to the dealer again or just say heck with it and order a dpf delete? The truck shutters and hesitates real bad now for some reason when you try to accelerate And pass. Almost like the tq converter is locking and unlocking or something. I'm just paranoid over everything on this truck. Its spit some grayish smoke out too here lately, but I'm blowing that off as just high humidity. Still 8-10mpg. Egh
Old 08-06-2011, 06:08 AM
Retired Army

If it is still under warranty take it back to the dealer and have them fix it under warranty. I know it gets old dealing with the stealerships but under warranty that is the best thing to do. IMHO
Old 08-06-2011, 04:03 PM

I've took it in with the same symptoms once before. They replaced some egr sensor or something. Didn't fix it. Just towed my boat on a 150 mile round trip. Filled it up, regenged three times on the trip, twice down, once back. I have a 1/4 tank of fuel left. wow
Old 08-06-2011, 04:39 PM

Try a different dealership
Old 08-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK1977 View Post
Try a different dealership
What he said x 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.