Fuel Filter Worries? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Filter Worries?

I just picked up an 08 XLT SC LB. It had 29995 miles on it when I bought it. It now has 31,000 and change. The service sticker shows it had the oil changed by the dealership I bought it from; but, based on today's findings, I may do it myself so I know for sure.

I picked it up at a GMC Dealership and I was told it was traded in for an Escalade. The previous owner inherited it and didn't want a truck.

I did a title history on it and I am the third owner. The first owner put it in service in March 2007, apparently when they 1st rolled out the 08's. The 2nd owner, the son of the first owner got it in November last year and traded it in January; apparently soon after he got the clear title for it.

Figuring the truck has seen a fairly easy life based on it's mileage, I popped into my local Ford Dealer and got a look at the service life of the truck. The previous owner(s) only had it to Ford for a radiator (the venturi setup is in place) and a reflash. No other history of the truck in Ford's computer.

Figuring the truck was owned by an older fellow, I figured the fuel filters would be a good place to start catching up with maintenance. I pulled these out of the truck today: Fuel Filter Worries?-filters.jpg

Not knowing how the previous owner(s) had service done, it looks like this truck, although it has had an easy life; did not get the service it needed.

I guess it is hard to know if the filters have ever been replaced or if these are original from the factory. Based on their appearance, I'd think they have never been replaced.

Anyone have any ideas from the looks of these filters? Seeing that these have not been touched; is there anything else that should be a priority to service?

I've been out of the PSD game since 2002, so any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2011, 04:53 PM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
They just look like normal used fuel filters to me. I couldn't see anything alarming in the picture. Was there any metal or any other major debris that you could see in or on them? You already have a good head start on making sure that its caught up on maintenance. Even if the GMC dealer did change the oil they may have used a cheap parts house oil filter. As cheap insurance I'd still put in the quality oil of your choice and know for sure that you have a good Motorcraft filter in it. And check on your air filter of course since its probably the stock one.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Premium Member

I guess it's the not knowing that bothers me.

I did not see any metal in the residue, only a little water, maybe...maybe a tablespoon full, a little bit of grit, what you expect to catch from a filter. I did have a hell of a time getting the valve open so I am thinking it is the first time it was ever opened.

If those look "normally" dirty, I guess I'm good to go.

My dealer is mod friendly so I have no worries there and my 3/36 is up anyway seeing how the truck has been in service for 4 years. I have been reading the nightmares of the engine/drivetrain warranty being axed for fuel issues. I just want to be sure the sensitive parts are cared for.

From the looks of the truck, the seats, floors and exterior, it looks like the previous owner was an older fellow that just drove it lightly. Very low mileage, no signs of a wreck, just low normal everyday use.

Air filter is clean, not new but clean, a few leaves were in the box, but nothing outrageous. I'm just getting the impression he never had the routine maintenance done. The dealer where I bought it does have a good diesel guy that works on the DMax's and he said he put Rotella T in it and NAPA filter so I am confident I'm good for another thousand or so for the oil.

I'm just trying to make sure if the truck had little or no maintenance in 30K miles I get the bases covered.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Always use motorcraft filters, no matter what. That's the priority right there IMO.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflan View Post
Always use motorcraft filters, no matter what. That's the priority right there IMO.
X2 on Always use motorcraft filters,

Doug
Old 06-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

IMO I would change the fuel filters also. I change mine every 10k miles and like the other guys said, use Motor Craft filters or the correct Racor replacement. Racor makes Motor Craft's filters for them. This is the place I get mine from, if you're looking.

Ford 6.4 Liter Turbo Diesel Motorcraft FD-4609 Fuel/Water Seperator Filters(FD4617): Pick Up & Excursion-THIS IS THE UPDATED VERSION OF THE FD-4609-8C3Z-9N194-C - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel

They ship pretty quick and I've never had an issue ordering from them.

Last edited by XPLOSIV; 06-27-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD40 View Post
X2 on Always use motorcraft filters,

Doug

X3, its not worth risking it with a cheap, off-brand filter. We keep the Motorcraft/Racor fuel filters in stock at all times and have free shipping on orders over $50. Below are links to them on our site with pricing.

Motorcraft/Racor 6.4L Fuel Filter

Motorcraft/Racor 6.4L Oil Filter
Old 06-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

when i bought my 08 last month i changed fuel filters, and found "FF" (First Filter) stamped on the top of it. That is what ford stamps on the 1st ones installed when they build it. oh yea and i forgot to tell you that the truck had 68,000 miles on it...... After i already bought it, i looked up service and this truck had a BUNCH done to it. but moral of the story is change em out regular.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Changing the filters is relatively cheap insurance. Like everyone said, Motorcraft or Racor only for me.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Warheads on Foreheads

I buy all my filters from the dealership so I can have a record that I'm using OEM parts if I ever have motor troubles. For awhile there Ford was denying warranties due to water in the fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.