squeak when AC turned on..... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 06:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
squeak when AC turned on.....

when i turn on my AC, and the compressor kicks in, i usually get a very loud sqeal. if i turn it off and on several times i can get the squeak to go away and the AC seems to work fine. i'm going to assume it's the belt. i have done a search and printed out a write-up on how to change the belt and man does it sound FUN ! I'm going to tackle it myself vs having a ford shop do it since it seems they charge a ton of dough to do the job. is there any way to tell for sure if it's the belt or the clutch on the compressor? the truck has just over 65k on it.

in the "belt change" write-up i did come across a TSB for the belt tensioner but i don't believe that would be covered under warranty. (truck is an 08 with a build date in '07). i don't believe that is the issue on my truck though since mine only squeaks when i kick on the AC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My freightliner used to do that and turned out it was the clutch...however, before I tried changing the belt or any other components I would think about getting some belt dressing and spray the belt down. Maybe then you can determine if it is the belt or something different.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

excellent advise, and i did exactly that. when i spray it with the belt dressing the squeak goes away temporarily but eventually comes back. am i safe in assuming that would tell me it's the belt?

also, i checked on prices for the belt yesterday and apparently there are options there? does this system have a seperate belt for the AC? i can supposedly buy an AC belt for for $25 or the serpentine belt for $55? i was also asked if it's equipped with the dual alternator? pretty sure i don't have dual alts, but the other stuff threw me for a loop.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:16 AM
Don't you worry about it

Mine does it. Like when I'm driving around on a warm day to a job site I don't have the a/c on but when I get done there and am hot as balls I get in the truck and when I'm accelerating I hit the ac button and when it engages it will give a nice little squeal but when I let off it goes away and is fine. It doesn't really do it unless it's under a load.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.