Trying to decide what to buy - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trying to decide what to buy

Currently in a 08 Tundra. OK but miss the diesel torque and ease of towing the travel trailer. I have had them all (pre emissions). Had a new 2005 6.0. Never any problems but only had it for a short while. Had and 05 Duramax that was also near perfect and a 06 Mega Cab that was cool but the quality was lacking in the interior as we all know. Dodge is out due to cost of new body style which is what I would want. So that leaves the Dmax and the 6.4. Not really interested in the pre-emissions stuff due to liking the newer looks of each. I am leaning to the Ford even though I have over all been pretty brand loyal to GM over the years. The Ford is head and shoulders above in fit and finish I like several aspects of the look. So with that please chime in on the following issues holding me up:

1. Being it will be a 08-09, can I get it to get 18 MPG or so on a 50 mile (90% interstate) round trip M-F to work. I live in the AL so emissions stuff would be no issue as of now. Not really impressed with the Dmax's I have driven. All seemed to be around 15MPG (although all had emission intact).
2. What is the realistic concern on all of the water in fuel issues I have read about creating huge bills with the fuel system needing replacement. This had made me a little guns shy. Have not seen this issue with the Dmax forums.
3. General cost on deletes with the best programmer for MPG.
4. If you know the height of the truck stock that would be great. Need to get it in a 6'9" parking garage at work if possible.

Thanks in advance. I think I have a good case of paralysis from analysis on this right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2011, 07:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
It is obtainable to get to 18 mpg's in these trucks. DO the deletes and drive around 65 mph and its obtainable. Speed kills MPG's on these trucks more than I have seen on any of my other ford diesels. The water in fuel issues alot of times comes down to the owner. How often the fuel filters are changed, as well as where you fill up with fuel plays a big part. If you stay on top of your filter changes and drain the separator once a month you should be fine. As far as programmers go you can spend anywhere from $900-1200 or so depending on which company and which display you choose. As for stock ride height it will be close. I have parked my truck in a few parking garages before and I know it fit, but it was way to close for comfort for me. with my sunroof open I could reach up and touch the beam of the garage...
Old 06-14-2011, 08:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I get 16-18 around town currently and have only 2 short trips but estimate around 22mpg on those which was highway driving.

My truck won't fit in my garage.. : ( Need a bigger garage.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

DSL PWR what mods do you have on your truck.
Lift, Deletes, tuner, Tires. That sounds like good mileage. I really like the 08 250 but dont want to make a high $ mistake if I am not going to be happy with it. Funny how 2-5 MPG can influence a $30k decision, but it does. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.