Changed Fuel Filters today..... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Changed Fuel Filters today.....

first off i have a question, do you think ill have any problems with how i changed it, i let the fuel drain but it did not drain completely, i did the bottom one first and when i let the fuel drain for 25 seconds then i closed the plug and i began to take out the cover, when i took off the cover fuel began to pour out...so i took out the filter and fuel was still draining through the open compartment, i put the new filter on the cap and the new O ring. then i reinstalled the filter with some fuel still coming out, when the filter was in the fuel began to only drip out....my main question is will i have any problems? could any particles have gotten inside the fuel lines. i drove about 3 miles home so would i have already noticed a problem? personally i dont think ill have any problems because the systems cant be THAT sensitive or else you would not even be able to change the filters.

as for the second filter it was much easier, the compartment was not empty of fuel so some spilled over which i was able to catch and clean, but the filter reinstallment was easy and not messy at all.

i found this video when i was doing it which helped a lot, the only part that i found wrong in my case was the amount of time to drain the filter plug, the directions say till it is empty while he said for 25 seconds. just a minor thing.

YouTube - ‪How to change the fuel filter on Ford Diesel Super Duty King Ranch 4x4‬‏

can anyone clear my fears here, will i have any problems? how could i tell if something were wrong with it? i was only worried about the first one because it was not as clean of an install as the second
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2011, 05:14 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
First you gotta open the top fuel filter by cracking it a few turns, until it is loose( wait about 30 seconds) then open it and take cap off(leave filter in for now). Then drain the water seperator (the filter under the driver side against the frame). By opening the top one first it will drain the bowl and not refill when you crack open the bottom( water seperator filter) drain.

Last edited by Greenshield; 06-11-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:41 PM

ahhhh it makes sooo much sense now haha thank you very much, do you think ill have any problems since i didnt do that
Old 06-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Warheads on Foreheads

taught my buddy how to do this today too. venting the top filter is a must to avoid the diesel bath!!
Old 06-11-2011, 06:04 PM

haha wish i had a friend with a 2008 nearby me that knew more about the process than i do, to my luck i dont. i ended up taking a small diesel bath but it wasnt too bad lol
Old 06-14-2011, 07:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
You wont have any issues with the way you did it. The diesel bath is not something that I used to look forward to when changing my fuel filters. Now that I have an airdog 2, no more diesel bath!!!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:01 AM

ok good im not worried now, does the airdog really help? but the filters are like 70 bucks arent they?
Old 06-14-2011, 09:51 AM

an airdog or fass is going to be my next upgrade also. It takes the air and water out of the fuel. The filters run about $23.00.

Pureflow Airdog FF100-2 Replacement Fuel Filter 2 Micron
Old 06-14-2011, 11:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
The airdog helps alot. In my mind it will prevent High pressure fuel system failure because it actually takes the water out of the fuel. My stock system didnt do a very good job of that. The filters are CHEAP compared to stock ford filters. I would get an airdog not a fass. The fass systems are loud. You can hear them running from inside the cab.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud2k View Post
The airdog helps alot. In my mind it will prevent High pressure fuel system failure because it actually takes the water out of the fuel. My stock system didnt do a very good job of that. The filters are CHEAP compared to stock ford filters. I would get an airdog not a fass. The fass systems are loud. You can hear them running from inside the cab.
good to know! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.4l, fuel filter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.