So the truck got an assist home today....On a flatbed.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So the truck got an assist home today....On a flatbed....

As the title says......

Been out of town for 2 weeks. Called the wife from the airport this morning before my flight home departed and requested she drive the truck to pick me up from the airport.

Call her when I land, she is about 10 minutes out. Then I get a text stating the wrench light is on and she is on the side of the road. I called back, walked her through the process of checking codes. It was reading TFT temp failure. The trans temp gauge on the dash was not reading anything. Had her clear the code, she made it what I would say was 1/2 a block and back into limp mode.

Grabbed a cab and met up with her. TFT reading was -68.3. Changed tunes truck runs fine but the TFT reading is bouncing back and forth from 120 to 155. Make it about a mile, -68.3 again and back into limp mode. Called tow truck and brought her home.

After a couple hour sit to cool down, I climbed under the truck and fiddled with the wiring running to the sensor, cleared code and drove it for 5 or 6 miles with the TFT temp climbing in increments as it should. Get half a block from the house, back to -68.3 and once again in limp mode.

I am sure the problem is the sensor and wonder if anyone else has experienced this. I really don't want to have to put the truck back to stock and have it towed to the dealer. I am sure that is my only course of action at this point but I figured I would ask to see if anyone has any other ideas to save me a little trouble.

On the bright side, I am only 4k away from the 30k tranny flush so I may as well have the dealer do that while they are it, but I am not looking forward to swapping everything back for such a minor problem.

Any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j21black View Post
As the title says......

Been out of town for 2 weeks. Called the wife from the airport this morning before my flight home departed and requested she drive the truck to pick me up from the airport.

Call her when I land, she is about 10 minutes out. Then I get a text stating the wrench light is on and she is on the side of the road. I called back, walked her through the process of checking codes. It was reading TFT temp failure. The trans temp gauge on the dash was not reading anything. Had her clear the code, she made it what I would say was 1/2 a block and back into limp mode.

Grabbed a cab and met up with her. TFT reading was -68.3. Changed tunes truck runs fine but the TFT reading is bouncing back and forth from 120 to 155. Make it about a mile, -68.3 again and back into limp mode. Called tow truck and brought her home.

After a couple hour sit to cool down, I climbed under the truck and fiddled with the wiring running to the sensor, cleared code and drove it for 5 or 6 miles with the TFT temp climbing in increments as it should. Get half a block from the house, back to -68.3 and once again in limp mode.

I am sure the problem is the sensor and wonder if anyone else has experienced this. I really don't want to have to put the truck back to stock and have it towed to the dealer. I am sure that is my only course of action at this point but I figured I would ask to see if anyone has any other ideas to save me a little trouble.

On the bright side, I am only 4k away from the 30k tranny flush so I may as well have the dealer do that while they are it, but I am not looking forward to swapping everything back for such a minor problem.

Any help?
why swap it back for a sensor, i asked my dealership about warranty and tuning....they said they would warranty anything that wasent the result of being tuned.....a bad sensor is a bad sensor...its not like you are bringing it in cause your tranny is spitting chunks..... tune it back to stock and take it in...
Old 06-10-2011, 01:18 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by INJEKTER1 View Post
why swap it back for a sensor, i asked my dealership about warranty and tuning....they said they would warranty anything that wasent the result of being tuned.....a bad sensor is a bad sensor...its not like you are bringing it in cause your tranny is spitting chunks..... tune it back to stock and take it in...
If the dealership wants, they will make up anything and blame the tuner, sucks but how can you argue with them?
Old 06-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

i had that happen in my 05 6.0. it threw me into tow mode... replaced the sensor, and it was all good. mine is right under the trans pan. not hard, but you pretty much change your trans flud while your at it. haha
Old 06-10-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwngs444 View Post
If the dealership wants, they will make up anything and blame the tuner, sucks but how can you argue with them?
ask them before you bring it in.....if you don't like their answer ask another dealer.....you need to do this groundwork ahead of time so you are not sweating every little thing......i mean if push came to shove they would have to prove it was the reason.... but you don't even wanna go there, just ask around,,,, i took mine in for the heated seat and the center console all tuned up...they didn't have a problem.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:53 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by INJEKTER1 View Post
ask them before you bring it in.....if you don't like their answer ask another dealer.....you need to do this groundwork ahead of time so you are not sweating every little thing......i mean if push came to shove they would have to prove it was the reason.... but you don't even wanna go there, just ask around,,,, i took mine in for the heated seat and the center console all tuned up...they didn't have a problem.
great advice
Old 06-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Ya' ll are braver than me. I wouldn't dare bring my truck in tuned for any reason. The sound of the exhaust is a dead give away. My luck there would be some big wig from ford there and you can bet he won't look the other way. Even if it was unrelated to the tuner they could void your warranty on the spot. Big gamble.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:26 AM
Warheads on Foreheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFD132 View Post
Ya' ll are braver than me. I wouldn't dare bring my truck in tuned for any reason. The sound of the exhaust is a dead give away. My luck there would be some big wig from ford there and you can bet he won't look the other way. Even if it was unrelated to the tuner they could void your warranty on the spot. Big gamble.
Also good advice!! It's a pita but I'd never take mine in tuned either
Old 06-11-2011, 04:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Personally I stay away from the dealer tuned, not-tuned, warranty, not-warranty.... it doesn't matter. For something like this I would price out the sensor and have it installed when you do trans flush somewhere other than the dealer. The money that you save by having a non-dealer shop may cover the cost of the sensor. Even if it costs more I would consider it worth it to avoid the stress of going to the dealer.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
Only time I go to the dealer is if I need a fuel filter NOW and I dont have anymore that I ordered online. I get some funny looks at some dealerships when the truck is sitting there idling and whistling. The sales men always love it, but never had a service tech come out and say anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.