08 f350 w/ 97k miles - needs front end susp. work - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
08 f350 w/ 97k miles - needs front end susp. work

went in to get a alignment today and they said they cannot do it
without changing the left outer pitman arm, left and right tie rods (both boots are ripped)

they wanted 1k to do it all, anyone have experience with this? it seems very easy to buy the moog parts online and diy,

also how can you check to make sure these parts are bad/loose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2011, 10:37 AM

I would take it to another shop for a second opinion. or buy the parts do it yourself and then take back in for the alignment. either way I would still get a second opinion to make sure your not replacing something that doesn't need to be.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I've seen the right side tierod sleeve go bad in as little as 20k miles. with almost 100k on it it's definitely possible all those pieces are worn

the pitman arm doesn't go bad but the inner drag link joint can in which case you need to replace the entire piece. it's probably pretty costly. parts will add up fast then add a couple hours labor for the install and i can see a grand going fast.

raise the front of your truck, wheels off the ground, and shake them side to side to feel for looseness.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
I've seen the right side tierod sleeve go bad in as little as 20k miles. with almost 100k on it it's definitely possible all those pieces are worn

the pitman arm doesn't go bad but the inner drag link joint can in which case you need to replace the entire piece. it's probably pretty costly. parts will add up fast then add a couple hours labor for the install and i can see a grand going fast.

raise the front of your truck, wheels off the ground, and shake them side to side to feel for looseness.

does the tie rod and sleeve come as 2 different parts?
Old 05-08-2011, 10:57 AM

when i get new outer tierods, should I stick with moog vs. the offbrands from the store? also do I need new tie rod sleeves, or can I reuse the stock ones.

lastly the drag link has play in it if I rotate it with my hand freely, is that worn out? would I need the entire thing new or can I just get a new drag link end?

Last edited by H0USE; 05-08-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:04 AM

i have heard moog makes good tie rod ends. I think i will go with moog when its time. For ball joints i am going with dynatrac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.