Re-gen question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re-gen question

Hey everyone, I've been a long time follower of this forum, and finally decided to join. I want to thank and commend those who post great information, I know I have learned alot and anything that keeps me out of the dealership that I can troubleshoot on my own or with the help of this forum is great.

So to my question, last month; like most of us, took our trucks in for the PCM update. I basically picked it up from ford and parked it in the garage (its not my daily driver) this last week I drove to visit family and put 350 miles on it one way. During this drive I didnt notice my "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" message display. I averaged just under 14MPG (not towing), however I was averaging about 80 MPH. On the drive home, the re-gen messaged appeared for a split second then went away. This time I toned my speed down and averaged about 16-17 MPG.

I also noticed that the turbo's PSI seems to run a little lower, might be playing mind games with myself but it seemed like before the PCM update the turbos were more active. As far a drivability I have no real complaint just concerned with not seeing a re-gen message as I saw more frequently than before.

My only though is that since I was running at a sustained high speed maybe the DFP didnt need to be cleaned just a guess.

Well again thank guys I appreciate the response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 06:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Seems to be the general consensus at the moment. Remains to be seen whether the mileage holds up. I suspect, if it did regen the first time, you probably just missed it as you noticed it flashes very briefly and then it's gone again.

Take a look at the following thread, NEW PTCM UPDATE FOR 6.4

And Welcome to the ORG.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The turbo is definately running slower if you had the re-flash done.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm a regen newbie, how do I know if it is going in regen. I've had my '08 6.4L one month and 1100 miles, I haven't noticed it regen yet. Is there a light on the dash? I've seen the you tube video with flames out the tailpipe, has this been fixed with the PCM updates? I.E. will it only regen at certain (highway/road) speeds so it isn't shooting flames in my garage? What happens if I turn the truck off while in regen? I love this truck, I've had an '04 & '07, the '08+ are even better trucks yet!! I've done a search for regen, and the results are overwhelming, so I need some help. Does someone have a link to an old thread that is a complete "regen for dummies"?
Old 04-24-2011, 12:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It used to be that the Message Center (display that shows odometer) would display the vehicle is cleaning exhaust, but that was removed a couple flashes ago. Now, the only way to tell is know the difference the engine sounds like, whether it feels like it's surging a little at idle, or by pressing the Setup > Reset button and cycling through the various settings. Toward the end, it will show it's in Regen or not, if no message about Regen is shown, then it's not in Regen.

The flaming issue was addressed around the first or second flash that came out on our vehicles, only appeared on Job 1's if I recall. It's very unlikely any vehicles exist anymore with the flaming exhaust, so you probably won't have to worry about that.

When the vehicle goes into regen, one of the things it does is add extra fuel on the exhaust stroke which helps to burn out the soot in the DPF. When the vehicle is nice and warm, this is usually not a problem as the rings have expanded to make a nice seal on the piston walls, thus preventing the fuel from slipping past the rings. However, when the vehicle cools down, and the rings contract, any excess fuel in the cylinders can go past the rings and end up in the oil. This is typically called washing the cylinders or cylinder wash. If you continue driving and let the regen complete, you reduce the chance of this happening because your giving the vehicle time to burn off this excess fuel and return to normal operating levels.

Other then letting the vehicle complete the regen completely, there are two other ways to cancel the regen, turning off the vehicle or putting it in park. In both cases, the regen is automatically cancelled and will resume at a later time, usually when your about a mile from your destination again. However, since it's only adding fuel during an active regen, what you can do is continue to your destination, pull into your parking spot and put the vehicle in park. Let the vehicle idle for a few minutes so the EGT's can come down to normal levels and this will give the vehicle enough time to burn off the excess fuel that may reside in the cylinders preventing cylinder wash.

If you just put the vehicle in park and just turn it off, you get two negative side effects. The first is that you end up washing the cylinders removing any oil residue which can cause excess wear over time. The second thing it does is cause you to make oil. The excess fuel washes the cylinders and ends up in the oil causing the oil level to rise as well as diluting the oil itself. Again, this can cause excess wear over time as well. again, to prevent either of these from happening, it's best to let the engine finish the regen if your still driving or to place the vehicle in park and let it cool down sufficiently before turning the vehicle off. Some people may argue it's not 100% effective but it's still more effective then just turning it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.