Oil Analysis - 20K miles - Showing High Aluminum - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 08:21 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Analysis - 20K miles - Showing High Aluminum

Just got my 4th oil sample back from blackstone...my 20k oil change. They are noting high levels of aluminum so I'm wondering if I should be concerned. I've attached the current report which also includes the previous 3 samples. Been running Rotella T6 full synthetic since the first change at 4800 miles. Installed the Spartan DPF/DOC delete at about 12k. I baby the truck and only tow (6k trailer) very rarely.

Anyone have any other ideas or interpretations?
Attached Thumbnails
Oil Analysis - 20K miles - Showing High Aluminum-april-11-oil-analysis-copy.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Premium Member

I would send in for a report in between changes. Like the next 2500 miles. A spike in aluminum is really nothing to worry about unless the next report shows as high or higher amount. The source for the aluminum is most likely pistons.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Both my oil analysis came back the same way and the guys who did the analysis are concerned with the high numbers.

I run Coop DMO SL 0W40 full synthetic. My summer results with 15,000km's on the oil came back at 20PPM. My Winter results with 13,000km's on the oil came back at 30ppm.

Truck now has just under 90,000miles on it.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontonrunner View Post
Both my oil analysis came back the same way and the guys who did the analysis are concerned with the high numbers.

I run Coop DMO SL 0W40 full synthetic. My summer results with 15,000km's on the oil came back at 20PPM. My Winter results with 13,000km's on the oil came back at 30ppm.

Truck now has just under 90,000miles on it.
I know that synthetic oils are suppose to last longer, but you might be putting to many miles on the oil. 13k is a long stretch. More so if you still have the DPF with regens. Here is a copy of my oil report. As you can see the last went 5300 miles and the oil still had a TBN of 7

Why I did it!
Old 06-14-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro2nite View Post
I know that synthetic oils are suppose to last longer, but you might be putting to many miles on the oil. 13k is a long stretch. More so if you still have the DPF with regens. Here is a copy of my oil report. As you can see the last went 5300 miles and the oil still had a TBN of 7

Why I did it!
I removed the emissions crap a long time ago so regen isn't an issue anymore.

Sorry, I mixed km's and miles in my post. My readings for the oil is in km's so in the 7500-8000mile range.

My summer run had more miles and resulted in less aluminum and iron. If anything I will have to drop back the mileage between changes in the winter.

Ford manual says you can run 16,000km's between changes if it isn't extreme conditions. Summer here is not extreme and I don't pull with the truck other then a 3500lb boat from time to time. Only extreme it sees is my commute to work and back which is 15mins from start to stop each way. I also don't idle or warm the truck up.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Dim Sum
I don't understand high piston wear on a non-regening diesel. These oil analysis results are consistent for this engine and I'm starting to wonder who "long life" this engine really is.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim Sum View Post
I don't understand high piston wear on a non-regening diesel. These oil analysis results are consistent for this engine and I'm starting to wonder who "long life" this engine really is.
My buddy has 300,000km on his 08. It was all highway miles in Alberta Canada and was all stock up until last fall when he bought it. It seems to be going strong and he is running my 525 tune on it with no issues other then I think he has a leaky injector because the truck makes oil even when he has the emissions crap off the truck.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:05 PM

Just sent in for another analysis...5,000 miles after the last one (24,000 total miles on truck).

The aluminum actually went up to 30 ppm. The blackstone comments say that it is now probablt from the EGR system...Here is the full report.

I'm thinking about changing my oil on the next change.
Attached Thumbnails
Oil Analysis - 20K miles - Showing High Aluminum-june-11-oil-analysis.jpg  

Last edited by blackbirdxx; 06-14-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
When I ran the rotella full syn oil for 10k miles I had the same issue that you are experiencing, high aluminum. I switched oils and have never had the issue again. This is the oil i run. Valvoline extreme blue full syn. Works great.

Valvoline.com > Products > Motor Oil > Diesel Motor Oil > Valvoline Premium Blue® Extreme Diesel Engine Oil
Old 06-14-2011, 11:36 PM

Amsoil FTW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.