is this death wobble??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 02:48 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
is this death wobble???

first ford, but i have heard of this issue before.

background info:

i just switched out my kumho kl71's from my stock 18's back to the stock conticraps as i want to get a bit more out of them before i order duragrapplers or crossteks.

i have 1 spare rim up front and the other is the stock aluminum (hit a curb and cracked the rim in march snow plowing) i am ordering a set of xd's soon.

anyways, i was driving down the highway at approx 65mph around a bend and hit a bump and the truck goes nuts with vibration that lasted a good 5-10secs as im trying to slow down. the whole truck is filled with a higher freq. vibration and im trying to hold the wheel. it only stopped after i got it down pretty slow.

i have never experienced this before and it happened 3 times that night. the last time it happened i hit a bump and the vibrations started small and went really bad then stopped again.

ive driven this stretch of highway hundreds of times before and never had it happen on the conti's or any other time before.

could it be a badly balanced tire? but normal driving i dont feel any symptoms of an unbalanced tire. is it that i have 1 steel 18" spare rim and 1 oem aluminum rim and the uneven weight was causing crazy axle bounce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2011, 02:52 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

I'd jack the front end up and see if you have any play in any front end components. Your different size tires may be causing the problem but I don't think it would. Did it start immediatly after you put that wheel on?
Old 04-10-2011, 03:02 PM

all 4 tires are the same size. they are the stock continentals that came on the truck. i only run the kumho's in the winter and this has never happened with either set of tires before.

the only thing that has changed is that im using the spare rim which is still the same size (18") as the other rims.

edit: this is on my 09 6.4 truck. crew cab, long bed.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

do you have a lift or the stock suspension?
Old 04-11-2011, 07:46 AM

suspension is completely stock except that I have AA code 7,000lb springs up front

gonna jack it up today, check for loose parts and air down the tires to around 60psi up front and see what happens.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:47 PM

Ive seen this a couple of times including my own truck with stock suspension. All my ball joints were tight, rod ends good and steering box okay. Turned out to be the track bar bushing on the driver side where it connects to the frame bracket. I replaced mine and it was solved. You can check it by having some one turn the wheel all the way to the left and then back and fourth. If you see too much movement or pop sound replace it. It cost me 19 bucks, I installed. Not saying its the problem, just the easiest to check and I think the first crappy part to wear out. These bushings see alot of lateral load during low or no speed turning of the wheel.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:21 PM

well, i jacked up the front end and checked for tie rod play and hub/joint play and found none. I aired down all 4 tires from 70psi to 60psi and took it on the highway for an errand and it did it again. I was driving 65mph and it stopped after I slowed down to 50mph.

our 6.0 should be done getting built on thursday so im dropping off my this 09 to get the continental recall done for these crap tires. Ill check out my track bar bushing and have my guy look into it if it is loose, thanks for giving me that heads up Bowkill!
Old 04-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

my moms durango did something simillar to this when the front shocks went out and everything felt fine, but we did them sincfe the back ones started leaking and it fixed the problem
Old 04-12-2011, 01:13 PM

so i checked for play in my trackbar at the bracket and did notice a bit of movement. im goin to swap out the bushing anyways.

does anyone know if theres an energy poly bushing available or something better than stock? truck plows so im sure thats where alot of the wear came from. 09 with 51K
Old 04-12-2011, 06:13 PM

I looked high and low and couldnt find anything. I was about to buy a universal track bar bushing from Energy Suspension and machine it to fit and then figured the exrta hassle wasnt worth it. Mine also went south at 50,000 so if I replace it in another 50k thats okay. It only took me 45 min and 6 beers. One thing I realized is that if I limit the amount steering at no movement, the stress on the bushing is reduced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.