dpf exhaust cleaning??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dpf exhaust cleaning???

I know this may b a dumb question. But could someone explain how the cleaning works. When,how long it takes and whats the best way to get a good clean or it to do its thing. I drive it mostly in town and pull a camper about 5-8x a year. So I may only put 20-30 miles a week on it. When driving in town the cleaning message comes on, but I never run it long enough to finish. Also I think I read that it will tell you exhaust cleaning complete. Even when traveling I don't think its ever given me this message. Thanks for the help...Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've been told by Ford that cleaning process takes 15 to 30 minutes depending on your speed. The faster you are going, the faster it will clean.
If you don't let it complete, it will start the regen then next time you drive it. As for getting a "completed clean message", I"ve never seen such a thing.

I believe the canister collects soot to a certain level. Then fuel is dumped into the cannister and rpms get very high in order to burn off the soot. THis is very basic explanation.

I can tell you that mine would regen every 40 to 60 miles. Never give a finished message.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for info. Did you delete the dpf? If so how do you like it. I want to sometime this summer. Chris
Old 04-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
You should get a system message that says something along the lines of " exhaust drive clean complete". maybe not those exact words, but I have seen it several times on the 2010 i had. Ive yet to see that mesage on my 6.7L
Old 04-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
btw if u dont let it finish you might be getting alot of raw fuel in your oil, aka not good for motor... delete the pos.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Not all have the exhaust cleaning complete. Mine doesn't. Drive about fifteen miles over 30 mph and that should do it. Use the system check on your display to see when the regen cycle ends. Don't stop the regen cycle too many times. You will get a drive until exhaust clean is complete message. The poster above is right, if you keep stopping the regen early, you're putting a lot of fuel in the motor.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

As many have said. Delete the DPF. I'm sorry I waited so long. Totally different truck. Better MPG as well.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
You should get a system message that says something along the lines of " exhaust drive clean complete". maybe not those exact words, but I have seen it several times on the 2010 i had. Ive yet to see that mesage on my 6.7L
That's because it's been removed with later flashes. Now the only way to see if it's in regen is to hit Setup followed by Reset and let it cycle through the display. The only vehicles that still have the message being displayed are vehicles that haven't received the last two flashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sce02 View Post
As many have said. Delete the DPF. I'm sorry I waited so long. Totally different truck. Better MPG as well.
Check your local laws first. Some states are stricter then others in what they look for annually or every other year during inspections. Others have had roadside checks similar to DUI checkpoints. Also, make sure your prepared to revert to stock every time you go to the dealer for warranty work or even oil changes as you never know when a Ford rep will be there and see your vehicle. If your still ok with all that, then go for it.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:43 AM
Don't you worry about it

My 08' does it about once every couple of weeks. I do mostly in town driving as well. I try to get it out on the highway and let it complete a full cycle without interrupting it. If I don't let it complete a full cycle for long enough a message will come up that says"Drive To Clean Exhaust filter" and then when it's done it will say "Exhaust Filter Drive Complete"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.