New 6.4L Owner. DPF delete and tune questions.. (Newbie to the diesel world) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New 6.4L Owner. DPF delete and tune questions.. (Newbie to the diesel world)

Hey guys! I just purchased an 08 Crew Cab Lariat 4x4 F250. I have been reading alot about the DPF delete kits and have a few questions that i have yet to find a simple answer.

I am aware that the spartan tuner is the way to go and i have plans to get one just not at the moment cause they are a little pricey.

I really would like my truck to be louder than stock but not crazy loud!! If i was to delete the DPF and CAT would my truck have to have a tuner to run correctly?

I really love this truck and use it for work but would like to have a little louder tone and increase in power and mpg. Just dont have the funds at the moment to pick up a tuner.

Any help would be awesome!! Any recommendations?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome! Congrats on your truck! To answer your question on making it louder, the only way would be like a 5" exhaust as far as I have read so far. Also, yes you do need a tuner when you delete the dpf filter to let your truck run right. Spartan is a good choice, but have you looked into a H&S? They are a little cheaper. Both are great tuners for sure. I went with the h&S on my truck.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have not yet looked into H&S that is new to me. LOL I will take a look at those. What would the truck sound lik if i did a simple muffler delete for the time being? Also would new muffler from the dpf back make it louder?

Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:02 AM

I'm running spartan/dpf-doc delete and S&b cai! I love it no complaints at all! i've towed @ 18k lb loads for over 1000 miles using the 210 tow tune the only problem was blowing the inter cooler pipes off, got the deisel site boot kit and fixed that problem! I think it's hard to make these trucks loud, mine is a little louder then stock but not much! hope this helps!
Old 04-03-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Image98 View Post
i have not yet looked into H&S that is new to me. LOL I will take a look at those. What would the truck sound lik if i did a simple muffler delete for the time being? Also would new muffler from the dpf back make it louder?

Thanks for the advice.
H&S are very good tuners
Old 04-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK thanks for all of the advice.

As far as the exhaust i just want some tone. I dont want to spend alot of money on exhaust if the tone will not be there.

From what i gather so far is to do a cat and dpf delete, CAI, tuner, and then i can simply throw on a tip for looks and be done. LOL

Any tips and/tricks to these trucks that ya'll feel i should know?
Old 04-03-2011, 12:33 PM

its hard to make these trucks any louder. because of the twin turbo. I know a few people have installed a resonator, but thats just to try to get rid of the hair dryer sound.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to Dim Sum
Depending on what you need. The H&S XRT Pro would be a great choice if you don't want extra gauges to monitor high HP tunes. That won't set you back nearly as much and its a very good tuner.

I have an H&S Mini Max, same tunes, just gauges.

As for louder, about the only way is a 5 inch exhaust from the down pipe back.

I think my truck is loader just w/o the CAT / DPF and I like it just the way it is.

Give Nate and Performance Truck Products dot com a call. He'll let you know on the prices so you can look into budgeting for what you need.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys for all of the advice! I think i am going to get in touch with them. I think i want to get a tuner and just do the cat and dpf delete with a nice tip for cosmetic reasons.

My next question for you guys is i am curious about deleting all of the EGR stuff. Good or bad idea?
Old 04-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Don't you worry about it

I'm going H&S as well...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.