Real bummer of a story. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 06:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Real bummer of a story.

So, finally ordered and received my Black Maxx, 5" Flo-Pro, S&B intake, and KEM tuning card. Real excited to finally get rid of the DPF so I figured I'd changed the oil and oil/fuel filters to get a fresh start for the new parts.

This is where is gets ugly...I notice oil on the bell housing and pan. To shorten the story...2 trips to the dealer and verdict is bedplate. It'll be a couple weeks before they can get the truck in and another week to fix. Talk about crap timing but thank god for a warranty.

I'm curious what the repair procedure is for this? It really doesn't impact the top half of the engine but I wonder what Ford procedure is. Mainly, I'd love to hear that the heads have to come off. I would definitely have studs installed in place of the stock bolts. Seems like such a waste of a cab off procedure not to have it done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2011, 07:22 AM
haters gonna hate 24/7.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:54 AM

It is a cab off procedure but the top side of the engine is not touched. The engine has to come out of the truck and the bottom end disassembled. Bed plate, oil pan and front/rear cover gaskets will be replaced. Do a VERY thorough inspection of all coolant hose connections, oil lines etc. before for leaks that you can bring up as they will not replace them unless it is noted.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Was there oil on the ground under the truck? Or did you never notice? Or was it just not enough to drip to the ground yet?

Sucks man, hope it doesn't take as long as they say.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

bowkill - Any particular areas to look at? I'm glad it's being done because I don't like to see leaks. It only has 28K on it and can't imagine what it would be like in a few years. My one small complaint has been the paint starting to come off my intercooler. I'm sure nothing will be done but it's annoying. I plan on installing my HID lights regardless of this repair coming so I will take the extra time to look it over real good while doing that.

smotrs - No, it never left drips on the pavement. My dipstick checks never showed signs of losing oil but that's probably fuel taking its place (sarcasm). I'm always power washing it to keep the salts off in winter so I probably washed away any drips I would have seen. The dye test and only 100+ miles easily showed where the leak is so I suppose that's a pretty bad leak.

Can't say I'm that upset about it but the timing of FINALLY getting my delete parts then this happens just stinks. Can't wait to get this thing deleted and tuned.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Could be worse. You could have put all that stuff on the truck and then found an oil leak. Been there, just a cat for me though
Old 03-30-2011, 03:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovdog View Post
bowkill - Any particular areas to look at? I'm glad it's being done because I don't like to see leaks. It only has 28K on it and can't imagine what it would be like in a few years. My one small complaint has been the paint starting to come off my intercooler. I'm sure nothing will be done but it's annoying. I plan on installing my HID lights regardless of this repair coming so I will take the extra time to look it over real good while doing that.

smotrs - No, it never left drips on the pavement. My dipstick checks never showed signs of losing oil but that's probably fuel taking its place (sarcasm). I'm always power washing it to keep the salts off in winter so I probably washed away any drips I would have seen. The dye test and only 100+ miles easily showed where the leak is so I suppose that's a pretty bad leak.

Can't say I'm that upset about it but the timing of FINALLY getting my delete parts then this happens just stinks. Can't wait to get this thing deleted and tuned.
Actually that was great timing!!
I would have been more pissed if I already installed the delete and then had to swap it all out for the repair work. I can however, understand the anxiety your under. Wanting to see how the truck performs with all those new mods. I was like a kid on Christmas eve when my parts came in the mail. I couldnt even hardly sleep that night, dreaming about the extra HP/Tque and gas mileage!! It will be worth the wait!!

Last edited by bman848; 03-30-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman848 View Post
Actually that was great timing!!
I would have been more pissed if I already installed the delete and then had to swap it all out for the repair work. I can however, understand the anxiety your under. Wanting to see how the truck performs with all those new mods. I was like a kid on Christmas eve when my parts came in the mail. I couldnt even hardly sleep that night, dreaming about the extra HP/Tque and gas mileage!! It will be worth the wait!!
I believe you and that's why I plan on taking a vacation day as soon as I get the truck back just so I can install the parts. I think I deserve that much.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

what is the bed plate?
Old 04-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
My bedplate is leaking too . My engine is sitting on a stand right now

The bedplate is a part that hold the crank in and the oil pan bolts to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.