Spoolong Down???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 07:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Spoolong Down????

I've read a thread here concerning Ford's beliefs on what miles to hours should be for warranty, oil/filter changes, etc. I have also read about some of the guys letting their truck spool down before turning it off. I'm in construction and my truck stays on all the time during the day (they always have as I was mainly concerned about the turbos, starters and that it's just inconvenient to turn it on/off all day long). I've also got rammed in the *** by Ford for them denying my warranty to replace a motor on my last 6.4 due to service (based it off hours I guess cause my mileage service was well documented). So my question is how long should I let a diesel spool down and/or what should I be guaging it on- time, etc's, eot's, pyrometer reading, etc. I'm as loyal to Ford as any one but I don't want to tangle with them again on warranty issues cause they don't give two ****s how deep your loyalty is, apparently. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by hookset; 03-27-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 08:00 AM
Premium Member

If you are pulling a heavy load, letting it idle for 3 minutes should do the trick on cool down. As for spooling down, 30 seconds should do. The purpose of the spool down is, once you shut down the engine, oil pressure will drop to zero, and your turbo will be spinning at a high rate with no oil pressure.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:00 AM

Just noticed Spoolong, how do I change the title to Spooling?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro2nite View Post
If you are pulling a heavy load, letting it idle for 3 minutes should do the trick on cool down. As for spooling down, 30 seconds should do. The purpose of the spool down is, once you shut down the engine, oil pressure will drop to zero, and your turbo will be spinning at a high rate with no oil pressure.
Makes sense. Thanks. Usually not a load (most days) so waiting the 30 seconds or so throughout the day to shut her down should be okay, as many times as I may do it? And I guess it's worth the trade off to keep down the engine hours?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:08 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookset View Post
Just noticed Spoolong, how do I change the title to Spooling?
Never really noticed. But I did get the idea....................Maybe a mod will change it.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Premium Member

you could just install a turbo saver and it will shut the truck down for you after all perameters are met for a safe shut down you can pull up some where take the key out and the truck will still run till the turbo saver sees that it is ok to shut down then the truck will shut down
Old 03-27-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschmidt View Post
you could just install a turbo saver and it will shut the truck down for you after all perameters are met for a safe shut down you can pull up some where take the key out and the truck will still run till the turbo saver sees that it is ok to shut down then the truck will shut down
Thats pretty cool. Where would I find a dealer/installer, best brand and how much is the cost?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:26 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You can get a simple turbo timer which are used a lot I'm turbo cars,
A turbo timer is used to let you car idle for a moment to let the oil that flowing through your tubo cool down. Without the oil flowing and cooling, you would have bubbling hot oil just stop not only in your lines but in your turbo. This is bad for two reasons.
1. the oil that stops in your lines will bubble in one spot and produce residue that will eventually clog yuor lines and restrict oil to the turbo.
2. The turbo itself is cooled by the oil, and if it is just left to bubble in the turbo, it can cause residue and does not let heat escape the turbo which can cause heat damage to the internal shaft and bearings on the turbo.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:57 PM

3-5 miniutes is a good time and if you pull up go to park and turn the engine off your turbo is still going about 15,000-20,000 rpm and with no oil your turbo shaft will just eat itself till the turbo shaft wobbles to much and comes apart. i have the Edge Juice w/ attutude and that has a turbo timmer that you can have the engine shut down based off time or EGT's and I have it shut off after 4 mins and I have had no issues with it after about 20,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.