Just purchased a 2008 F450 4x4 XLT - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just purchased a 2008 F450 4x4 XLT

I just bought this yesterday. I do a lot of towing. I have a 28' gooseneck trailer with a complete mobile shop that I use for doing on-site equipment repair for contractors, ranches, nurseries, cemeteries, golf facilities, etc. I used to have a 2001 GMC Sierra K3500 with the 8.1 and Allison.

I thought the 450 platform would be more suited to my needs. I'm guessing that my trailer weighs at least 16K, probably more. My new truck has 41,000 miles on it and was previously leased. The Oasis report was clean, with no recent warranty work done, it appears clean and reasonably cared for.

What should I be aware of, look out for, over maintain, etc.? Keep in mind that I'm in California, so doing a DPF delete is out of the question, we have to pass a visual inspection for a smog certificate. I did get a 3 yr/36K bumper-to-bumper warranty with it. I typically put 20,000 miles or more a year on a truck and most of it will be towing.

The thumbnail is my trailer and GMC.
Attached Thumbnails
Just purchased a 2008 F450 4x4 XLT-truck_trailer_open_crop.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 06:57 PM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Let's see the new truck! If the dpf delete is out of the question for you then I'd recommend never going over 5k on oil changes for sure. The regen process will dilute you engine oil with fuel which is BAD. Most change their fuel filters more often than Ford recommends as well, around 10k. The 6.4 is a good solid truck but the emissions system is its downfall. If I put that many miles down each year I'd probably do the dpf delete and just put it back to stock for the inspections when needed.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here is a picture of the truck. I posted it earlier but I guess the link only worked in preview.

I'll take more pics as soon as I get the GN hitch put in it next week.

I will likely over-maintain it as well. I normally change fuel filters when I change engine oil, and transmission fluid at half the recommended interval.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Just purchased a 2008 F450 4x4 XLT-ford_f450.jpg  

Last edited by Brain55; 03-26-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:08 PM
Premium Member

Nice truck! Congrats. You will enjoy it...
Old 03-27-2011, 12:09 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Very nice looking rig, we are in the same line of work and I too am upgrading to the F-450.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Drain your seperator every month or less and change the fuel filters every 10,000 miles. Both filters. I have had no problems yet but I have followed my own advice. I also change my oil every 5000 miles. Running synthetics is a waste of money due to fuel dilution from the regen. Now that's the burr in your britches. Ya want to run but ??? If ya don't do it with this truck you will probably see problems. The regeneration setup is a sore spot on this truck.

Guys with the water in fuel light

PowerStrokeNation

A couple of topics to peruse. I apologize for the out of site post. It's just not on here. That I can find.

Karl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.