Ford Recall, Spartan,& Transmission hard shifting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ford Recall, Spartan,& Transmission hard shifting

Well I did my 11B23 Recall today, I reloaded the Ford data, went to the dealer, and let them do the re-flash, ( I Just realized today how much a dog this truck was with a stock tune), while there, when the tech was finishing up he ran a scan, as expected there were no codes present, then the check engine light came on, (I have a hollowed out CAT and DPF), when he checked the code, it was for: "exhaust filter back-pressure lower than expected" he then looked at my sooty tips, gave me a funny grin and said all done...

Got back home and spent another 1/2 hour reloading the Spartan tune, and when I ran out to get some dog food, coming back the shifting 2 to 3 I think, was real rough, has anybody else had this problem, or is it a tranny re-learning curve, I noticed when I tuned the first time it was a little rough, then within a week or so it smoothed out, But it did not seem this hard, just wondering...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

Someone posted the notice that was given to him after the flash. It stated that the tranny will have to go through a relearn process.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What tune did you load up?
Old 03-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

210 tow performance, had no problem retuning, and truck runs great, according to my Ford tech, its good to get the re-flash, because these items work with the Spartan tune, and are saved, and reinstalled when you re-tune, and can prevent damage if something goes wrong, But as I guess everyone here knows,all of the problems this flash is supposed to correct, are caused by that wonderful self-cleaning oven ,that was installed in the exhaust systems on these trucks.

Still shifting hard today, the dealer said some trucks are taking longer to "re-learn" transmission shift patterns.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had my truck taken to a repair shop a few months back, and got a new flash from ford while I was there. The spartan 250 loaded up just fine, but it shifted normally too. I guess it just depends.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:19 PM

I received the 11B23 letter this week for my truck. How do you guys handle these PCM upgrades? This particular one mentions "...Ford has developed calibration improvements to the PCM for your vehicle to quickly detect and react to issues before significant damage occurs. Some examples include water-in-fuel reduced power mode, engine coolant temperature monitoring, over-full engine oil level, and proper circulation within the engine coil cooler...."

I sent an email to H&S and they suggested I not get the update as "any updates you do will be wiped out by our tune, so in essence, there is no need to get this update performed. The only reason you would want this is if your area or state requires you to get the update to register the vehicle. Other than that, I would leave it as is."
If I remove the tune and put the PCM back to stock, I can't drive it unless I put the DOC/DPF back on (pain in the ***). I guess I wonder if the tunes replace the entire PCM code or just parts of it and I could benefit from the Ford PCM updates. What do you guys do?

P.S. I have 08 6.4L with H&S Mini-Max, doc/dpf del.
Thanks.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

From what I understand about the Spartan, it collects the Ford data, saves and reloads some of their paramaters with the Tune, I think that's why you haven't heard anyone here that has had a problem with a Spartan and the re-flash, I have a hollowed out CAT/DPF with all of the sensors still in and working, ( just for things like this) The only problem I have seen running the stock tune with this, was once it tried to regen, and liquid/fuel was dripping from the tailpipe, it also threw a new code after the re-flash: "exhaust filter back-pressure lower than expected" but the tuner cleared that, I think its something new because I haven't seen it prior to the reflash.

I drove over 100 miles yesterday and the tranny is still shifting real rough, would really like to get that resolved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.