transfer tank - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 03-15-2011, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Ipkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 332
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
transfer tank

I want to set up a transfer tank for when I am going on long hauls. Looking for fuel at 200 miles really is not very fun when I'm going on a 3k mile trip. I am trying to figure out the best set up. I search for a while and did not come up with anything good. I already have the tank. I am looking for the most simple, reliable way to get the fuel from the tank to the truck. Is it better to gravity feed it, or set up a small pump? what pump would you use? I would rather not buy a whole kit. Just the parts I need and fab the rest myself.

2008 F-250 6.4 Auto, CC,SB,FX4, 2" lift, 285/65/20, Spartan tuning, Elite studs, Elite egr delete/wastegate, Elite push rods, Spearco Intercooler, cold side pipe,CFM, 4"down pipe,Custom 5" DP back exhuast 543HP/1231 ft-lbs
Everything from Sean at Street diesel performance
http://s601.photobucket.com/albums/t...0Ford%20F-250/
Ipkyss is offline  
post #2 of 26 Old 03-15-2011, 07:24 AM
Mod Newbie

 
dhanna6powerstroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bloomington, IN.
Posts: 13,156
Thanks: 6
Thanked 143 Times in 135 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipkyss View Post
I want to set up a transfer tank for when I am going on long hauls. Looking for fuel at 200 miles really is not very fun when I'm going on a 3k mile trip. I am trying to figure out the best set up. I search for a while and did not come up with anything good. I already have the tank. I am looking for the most simple, reliable way to get the fuel from the tank to the truck. Is it better to gravity feed it, or set up a small pump? what pump would you use? I would rather not buy a whole kit. Just the parts I need and fab the rest myself.
A friend of mine tapped into the filler neck and did a gravity feed on his D-Max. I know you already have a tank but, have you thought about upgrading to a Titan fuel tank? Ford Large Capacity Diesel Fuel Tanks for Pickup Trucks ~ TITAN Diesel Fuel Tanks: The Leader in Aftermarket Fuel Tanks

dhanna6powerstroke is offline  
post #3 of 26 Old 03-15-2011, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Ipkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 332
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
not really interested in the titan tanks. I would rather carry my 100 gal transfer tank, plus my 28 gal factory tank. Heading out on a 3400 mile trip this coming weekend. Just looking for the most simple and reliable way to get the fuel to the truck. I was just reading about the rds set up that goes into the filler neck. I heard a few people say that it tends to stick? is it a big issue or a once a year kind of thing?

2008 F-250 6.4 Auto, CC,SB,FX4, 2" lift, 285/65/20, Spartan tuning, Elite studs, Elite egr delete/wastegate, Elite push rods, Spearco Intercooler, cold side pipe,CFM, 4"down pipe,Custom 5" DP back exhuast 543HP/1231 ft-lbs
Everything from Sean at Street diesel performance
http://s601.photobucket.com/albums/t...0Ford%20F-250/
Ipkyss is offline  
post #4 of 26 Old 03-15-2011, 08:07 AM
Mod Newbie

 
dhanna6powerstroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bloomington, IN.
Posts: 13,156
Thanks: 6
Thanked 143 Times in 135 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipkyss View Post
not really interested in the titan tanks. I would rather carry my 100 gal transfer tank, plus my 28 gal factory tank. Heading out on a 3400 mile trip this coming weekend. Just looking for the most simple and reliable way to get the fuel to the truck. I was just reading about the rds set up that goes into the filler neck. I heard a few people say that it tends to stick? is it a big issue or a once a year kind of thing?
I don't personally have any experience with transfer tanks. Not even sure which one my buddy uses but I know he hasn't had any issues. Hopefully someone that has experience with RDS will chime in. Where is your trip taking you anyway?

dhanna6powerstroke is offline  
post #5 of 26 Old 03-15-2011, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Ipkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 332
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Current trip is MA to FL for vacation and then FL to Indiana to pick up my new trailer, then back to MA. Last time I went to Florida, I had a lot of issues finding fuel when I needed it, I ended up driving on E a few times... Now I start looking for fuel with at least a 100 miles left.

2008 F-250 6.4 Auto, CC,SB,FX4, 2" lift, 285/65/20, Spartan tuning, Elite studs, Elite egr delete/wastegate, Elite push rods, Spearco Intercooler, cold side pipe,CFM, 4"down pipe,Custom 5" DP back exhuast 543HP/1231 ft-lbs
Everything from Sean at Street diesel performance
http://s601.photobucket.com/albums/t...0Ford%20F-250/
Ipkyss is offline  
post #6 of 26 Old 03-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Mod Newbie

 
dhanna6powerstroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bloomington, IN.
Posts: 13,156
Thanks: 6
Thanked 143 Times in 135 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipkyss View Post
Current trip is MA to FL for vacation and then FL to Indiana to pick up my new trailer, then back to MA. Last time I went to Florida, I had a lot of issues finding fuel when I needed it, I ended up driving on E a few times... Now I start looking for fuel with at least a 100 miles left.
Should be a good trip. I'd meet up with you some where on your trip through Indiana if you have time and I'm not working. I'm assuming you are headed to Elkart to get the trailer?

dhanna6powerstroke is offline  
post #7 of 26 Old 03-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
muntu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 305
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.co...7-06-18_R1.pdf

2008 6.4 job3 F250 3:55 gears 10K gvw silver stretchcab 8ft box.timbrens and goosenek hitch.51 gal aux tank.
muntu is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old 03-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
goXtreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glendive MT.
Posts: 1,222
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to goXtreme Send a message via MSN to goXtreme
I put a 35 gallon tank in the back on my truck with just a 1/4" valve and hose that goes through the box into the vent line of the factory tank, when I leave to go on a trip, I open the valve and drive until the fuel gauge says I need to fill up then fill them both up.

I think that I have $5.00 into the whole setup, minus the tank of course



'03 F-350 6.0 CC LB 4X4:
4" MRBP Turbo Back, No Muff, S&B Intake, Sinister EGR Delete, SCTX3, Edge Insight CTS, Blue Spring, Zoodad, Optima Yellow Tops, DIY Coolant Filter,ARPs, B&W Turnover Ball (W/ Companion Hitch), Ding Ding Mod, 2 1/2" Leveling Kit, 17" Wheels, BPD Fuel Filter Cover, AFE Rear Diff Cover, BPD Oil cooler & 58 Volt FICM, S&B Intake horn and coldside CAC tube
goXtreme is offline  
post #9 of 26 Old 03-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Mod Newbie

 
dhanna6powerstroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bloomington, IN.
Posts: 13,156
Thanks: 6
Thanked 143 Times in 135 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by goXtreme View Post
I put a 35 gallon tank in the back on my truck with just a 1/4" valve and hose that goes through the box into the vent line of the factory tank, when I leave to go on a trip, I open the valve and drive until the fuel gauge says I need to fill up then fill them both up.

I think that I have $5.00 into the whole setup, minus the tank of course
That is basically what my buddy did. I just talked to him about it tonight. Works great for him.

dhanna6powerstroke is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old 03-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
goXtreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glendive MT.
Posts: 1,222
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to goXtreme Send a message via MSN to goXtreme
I have no problems at all with mine, when I first put it in, I went through a bunch of filters for it getting the rust, dirt and other undesirables out of the tank.

I actually never close my valve unless I want to make sure that my fuel gauge still works



'03 F-350 6.0 CC LB 4X4:
4" MRBP Turbo Back, No Muff, S&B Intake, Sinister EGR Delete, SCTX3, Edge Insight CTS, Blue Spring, Zoodad, Optima Yellow Tops, DIY Coolant Filter,ARPs, B&W Turnover Ball (W/ Companion Hitch), Ding Ding Mod, 2 1/2" Leveling Kit, 17" Wheels, BPD Fuel Filter Cover, AFE Rear Diff Cover, BPD Oil cooler & 58 Volt FICM, S&B Intake horn and coldside CAC tube
goXtreme is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome