transfer tank - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
transfer tank

I want to set up a transfer tank for when I am going on long hauls. Looking for fuel at 200 miles really is not very fun when I'm going on a 3k mile trip. I am trying to figure out the best set up. I search for a while and did not come up with anything good. I already have the tank. I am looking for the most simple, reliable way to get the fuel from the tank to the truck. Is it better to gravity feed it, or set up a small pump? what pump would you use? I would rather not buy a whole kit. Just the parts I need and fab the rest myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2011, 08:24 AM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipkyss View Post
I want to set up a transfer tank for when I am going on long hauls. Looking for fuel at 200 miles really is not very fun when I'm going on a 3k mile trip. I am trying to figure out the best set up. I search for a while and did not come up with anything good. I already have the tank. I am looking for the most simple, reliable way to get the fuel from the tank to the truck. Is it better to gravity feed it, or set up a small pump? what pump would you use? I would rather not buy a whole kit. Just the parts I need and fab the rest myself.
A friend of mine tapped into the filler neck and did a gravity feed on his D-Max. I know you already have a tank but, have you thought about upgrading to a Titan fuel tank? Ford Large Capacity Diesel Fuel Tanks for Pickup Trucks ~ TITAN Diesel Fuel Tanks: The Leader in Aftermarket Fuel Tanks
Old 03-15-2011, 09:04 AM

not really interested in the titan tanks. I would rather carry my 100 gal transfer tank, plus my 28 gal factory tank. Heading out on a 3400 mile trip this coming weekend. Just looking for the most simple and reliable way to get the fuel to the truck. I was just reading about the rds set up that goes into the filler neck. I heard a few people say that it tends to stick? is it a big issue or a once a year kind of thing?
Old 03-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
not really interested in the titan tanks. I would rather carry my 100 gal transfer tank, plus my 28 gal factory tank. Heading out on a 3400 mile trip this coming weekend. Just looking for the most simple and reliable way to get the fuel to the truck. I was just reading about the rds set up that goes into the filler neck. I heard a few people say that it tends to stick? is it a big issue or a once a year kind of thing?
I don't personally have any experience with transfer tanks. Not even sure which one my buddy uses but I know he hasn't had any issues. Hopefully someone that has experience with RDS will chime in. Where is your trip taking you anyway?
Old 03-15-2011, 09:22 AM

Current trip is MA to FL for vacation and then FL to Indiana to pick up my new trailer, then back to MA. Last time I went to Florida, I had a lot of issues finding fuel when I needed it, I ended up driving on E a few times... Now I start looking for fuel with at least a 100 miles left.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
Current trip is MA to FL for vacation and then FL to Indiana to pick up my new trailer, then back to MA. Last time I went to Florida, I had a lot of issues finding fuel when I needed it, I ended up driving on E a few times... Now I start looking for fuel with at least a 100 miles left.
Should be a good trip. I'd meet up with you some where on your trip through Indiana if you have time and I'm not working. I'm assuming you are headed to Elkart to get the trailer?
Old 03-15-2011, 03:49 PM

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.co...7-06-18_R1.pdf
Old 03-15-2011, 06:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to goXtreme Send a message via MSN to goXtreme
I put a 35 gallon tank in the back on my truck with just a 1/4" valve and hose that goes through the box into the vent line of the factory tank, when I leave to go on a trip, I open the valve and drive until the fuel gauge says I need to fill up then fill them both up.

I think that I have $5.00 into the whole setup, minus the tank of course
Old 03-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goXtreme View Post
I put a 35 gallon tank in the back on my truck with just a 1/4" valve and hose that goes through the box into the vent line of the factory tank, when I leave to go on a trip, I open the valve and drive until the fuel gauge says I need to fill up then fill them both up.

I think that I have $5.00 into the whole setup, minus the tank of course
That is basically what my buddy did. I just talked to him about it tonight. Works great for him.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to goXtreme Send a message via MSN to goXtreme
I have no problems at all with mine, when I first put it in, I went through a bunch of filters for it getting the rust, dirt and other undesirables out of the tank.

I actually never close my valve unless I want to make sure that my fuel gauge still works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.